Registration of Asterisk at Voipbuster times out

Hi,

I am new here on this forum, and have a problem of which I hope that somebody here can help me with it.
I have a Voipbuster account, with which I would like to make phone calls via my Asterisk PBX. If I let X-Lite register directly at voipbuster.com, everything is OK, but if I let Asterisk register there, it says “registration for XXXXXX@sip.voipbuster.com timed out, trying again”, even though all settings are precisely as in X-Lite (username, password, and sip-proxy settings). Also I am sure the right ports are forwarded or open, both in my router and in iptables (firewall of Asterisk server). The log files of X-Lite and the output of “sip debug” show no differences, except this one: [quote]Contact: Remko <sip:XXXXXX@[INTERNIP OF X-LITE-PC]:5060>[/quote] in the log of X-lite and the following line in sip debug:[quote]Contact:sip:s@MYEXTERNIP[/quote] I don’t know whether this is a significant difference.
For further info, here is my sip.conf:

I am completely at a loss, hope somebody can help me here!

Yours,
Remko

There must be a solution right around the corner… Can somebody point it out to me, please?

TIA,
Remko

I think you are missing the “register” line in your sip.conf. My setup which registers fine (I have not tried calls yet) is like this:

register => your-voipuser-login:your-voipuser-pass@voipuser.org/voipuseruk

[voipuser]
type=friend
username=you-voipuser-login
secret=your-voipuser-pass
fromuser=you
fromdomain=voipuser.org
host=voipuser.org
insecure=very
qualify=yes
context=default
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=alaw
allow=ilbc
allow=gsm
reinvite=no
canreinvite=no
callerid=you

Of course, your extensions.conf must also have correct entries to receive and make calls. My extensions.conf has this line in the default conetxt to capture incoming connections:

exten => voipuseruk,1,Goto(voipuser-in,your-voipuser-login,1)

Sorry! I misread your post. I thought you meant VOIPUSER and I did not see your “register” line. So from what you posted everything looks good.

Thanks for answering anyway. Yes, that’s exactly the problem: it looks good, but it still doesn’t work, even with iptables turned off!

Remko

Try to write an IP address of voipbuster: host = 80.239.235.200, if you still have a problem, try this:

sip.conf

[general]
context=default
bindport=5060
bindaddr=0.0.0.0
srvlookup=yes
allowexternalinvites=yes
dtmfmode = auto

[1234]
type = friend
host = dynamic
dtmfmode = auto
secret = XXXX
context = voipbuster
callerid = “Remko” <1234>
qualify=yes

[voipbuster]
type=peer
host=80.239.235.200 ; or sip.voipbuster.com
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=alaw
allow=gsm
allow=g729
username=XXXX
fromuser=XXXX
secret=XXXX
qualify=yes
canreinvite=no
dtmfmode=RFC2833 ; or inband

extensions.conf

[voipbuster]
exten => _X.,1,DIAL(SIP/${EXTEN}@voipbuster,60,rt)
exten => _X.,2,Hangup

reload Asterisk
On CLI type “sip show peers” if you see:
Name/username Host Dyn Nat ACL Port Status
voipbuster/XXXX 80.239.235.200 5060 OK (xx ms)
then everything is OK.
Login with X-Lite and dial a number…

Hi Jud,

Thanks! At least it partly works: for outgoing calls. When I call my voip-in number, I get a message from voipbuster saying that “this user is currently not online”. If I do so directly after I made an outgoing call, I do not get this messages, but an immediate congestion tone, without any output in sip debug. The latter is probably a problem with firewall/nat settings, but the former is serious: if I try to add a line “register => username:passwd@sip.voipbuster.com” in sip.conf, the registration timeout errors reappear! Note that this is not a firewall issue, because of the difference it makes to first make an outgoing call. I have tried several configurations, mixing yours and my earlier conf-files, but to no avail…

Thanks in advance for any further suggestions!

Remko

Yes. It work for outgoing calls. For incoming calls is diferent, but I dont know how to configure, yet. I have account in voipstunt, but dont have a number. Give me some time and I try to help you.

Is there no-one out there who has any idea why Asterisk doesn’t register at Voipbuster.com when a line “register => username:passwd@sip.voipbuster.com” is added to sip.conf’?
Or, why I cannot receive calls without making outgoing calls every now and then, to stay registered?

Please, please, I want to have a working PBX ! Any further help will be much appreciated!

Remko

My incomming calls doesn’t work, but i dont have the register error message that you have. My line is:

register => username-voipbuster:passwrd-voipbuster@voipbuster-in;

where voipbuster-in is:

[voipbuster-in]
type=friend;
username=username-voipbuster;
secret=passwrd-voipbuster;
host=sip.voipbuster.com;
realm=sip.voipbuster.com;
fromuser=username-voipbuster;
fromdomain=sip.voipbuster.com;
context=voipbuster-in;
canreinvite=no;
insecure=very;
qualify=1000;
nat=yes
dtmfmode=inband;
disallow=all;
allow=alaw;
allow=ulaw
;auth=md5;

If you learn how to put incomming calls post qthe solution here please.

My dearest nadiaspencer,

That did the trick! You’re great! Asterisk registers without any problems, and incoming calls get through without any need of first making outgoing calls. Nowhere on the internet did I read that the register-line should have the voipbuster-context after the @. Thanks!!

So with these settings in your sip.conf, everything should be fine. Can you make outgoing calls, and is the sound right in both directions? (i.e. no firewall issues?) And can you post your extensions.conf (especially the voipbuster-in context)? What do you hear when you call your voip-in number?

Best,
Remko

I can make outgoing calls, but when i call my number, i ear a message saying that “this user is currently not online”. I’ve tried to use the voipbuster aplications and it works very well, that’s why i think that i’ve a configuration problem.

My sip.conf is:

; Note: If your SIP devices are behind a NAT and your Asterisk
; server isn’t, try adding “nat=1” to each peer definition to
; solve translation problems.

[general]

port = 5060 ; Port to bind to (SIP is 5060)
bindaddr = 0.0.0.0 ; Address to bind to (all addresses on machine)
;Inicia-se a negar todos os codecs
disallow=all
;aqui sera por ordem o tipo de codec utilizado
allow=alaw
allow=ulaw
allow=gsm

; If you need to answer unauthenticated calls, you should change this
; next line to ‘from-trunk’, rather than ‘from-sip-external’.
; You’ll know this is happening if when you call in you get a message
; saying "The number you have dialed is not in service. Please check the
; number and try again."
context = from-sip-external ; Send unknown SIP callers to this context
callerid = Unknown
tos=0x68

; #, in this configuration file, is NOT A COMMENT. This is exactly
; how it should be.
#include sip_nat.conf
#include sip_custom.conf
#include sip_additional.conf
notifyringing=yes

register => username-voipbuster:password-voipbuster@voipbuster-in;

[voipbuster-in]
type=friend;
username=username-voipbuster;
secret=password-voipbuster;
host=voipbuster.com;
realm=voipbuster.com;
fromuser=username-voipbuster;
fromdomain=voipbuster.com;
context=voipbuster-in;
canreinvite=no;
insecure=very;
qualify=1000;
nat=yes
dtmfmode=inband;
disallow=all;
allow=alaw;
allow=ulaw
;auth=md5;

[voipbuster]
type=peer
host=sip.voipbuster.com
username=username-voipbuster-account2
fromuser=username-voipbuster-account2
secret=password-voipbuster-account2
notifyringing=yes
musicclass=default
nat=yes

[netappel]
type=peer
host=sip.netappel.com
username=username-netappel
fromuser=username-netappel
secret=password-netappel

EXTENSIONS.CONF

(There is a lot of text before that was inserted by default)

;[voipbuster-in]
;
[voipbuster-in]
exten => s,1,Answer
exten => s,2,Ringing
exten => s,3,SetCIDName(${CALLERIDNAME})
exten => 301,4,Dial(SIP/jonhsmith,30)
exten => 1000,5,Voicemail(u555)
exten => 1001,6,Hangup
;
;this is where parked calls go if they time-out. Should probably re-ring
[default]
include => ext-local
exten => s,1,Playback(vm-goodbye)
exten => s,2,Macro(hangupcall)

exten => 301,1,Dial(IAX2/johnsmith/301)
exten => _00353.,1,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@voipbuster)
exten => _0081.,1,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@voipbuster)
exten => _0033.,1,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@voipbuster)

exten => _001.,1,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@netappel)
exten => _0044.,1,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@netappel)

thanks

Hi,

Sorry, I shouted too quickly. Your “register =>” line did help, reloading makes asterisk register at voipbuster.com, but only for a limited time. I can make incoming calls right after reloading the conf files, or restarting asterisk, but after some time I get this voipbuster message again, saying that “this user is currently not online”.

It might be that voipbuster’s own softphone sends some re-register signal every now and then. I will try the same with X-lite to see whether this suggestion is correct.

For now, it looks to me as if your conf files are OK, and we’re in the same boat.

Best regards,
Remko

Hi,

Yep, incoming calls with X-lite as client are just as problematic as with Asterisk. I can only call my voip-in number after making some outgoing call.
Does anybody know how to solve this?

Remko