[Question] 1-800 Service

Hi folks. This is my first day here. I would like to start offering virtual PBX service to the public (similar to 1-800 services on the Internet - as in sixtel, telcon, …). Can i do that using Asterisk? Can Asterisk be used as a virtual PBX to handle calls for multiple organizations? I have been looking to get a software that can provide that. I see a ton of 800 service providers on the Internet but cannot find the actual software. I appreciate all the help I can get.

Yes, asterisk can do what you want. If you know how to configure it correctly you can host many companies on one * box and they will not run into each other. However this must be configured very carefully.

However, I would suggest not embarking on such a venture until you know * inside and out- asterisk is not an “ITSP in a box” kit. It’s more like a bucket full of Legos- if you know what you’re doing you can make cool stuff, if you dont you can make a mess.

A good place to start would be the book- Asterisk: The Future of Telephony. It’s available from O’Rilley or you can download a free copy from www.asteriskdocs.org. (buy the book if you can though :smile: ). It provides a comprehensive introduction to the capabilites and configuration of Asterisk.

but isn’t that what AMP is for? :smiling_imp: