Polycom IP Phones on the Blink

Salvete! I have about 12 Polycom IP 401’s that are on the blink (Asterisk 1.2 - I know, I am upgrading). One of the techs decided to pull the plug on the backup battery (which was dead) in the network closet in order to show someone what the plug looked like. The POE switch died, and ever since then, (for the last month) all the phones on one whole floor have stopped working. They won’t call nor receive calls. Now, all phones receive their ipaddresses from the dhcp server, and I have double checked them that they are getting the right ip addresses.

What can I do?

are you sure they are registered in asterisk ?
what is the output of command? : asterisk -rx “sip show peers”

Who did your installation? Have you tried phoning them?

When I do sip show peers, the ip sip extensions show, but the ipaddress are listed as (unspecified). (And yes, I have spoken with the fellow who set up the system originally).

I think that means that those phones are not registering with Asterisk. Well, they sure used to. And the other phones on the network don’t have any issues. The passwords are correct. However, it does seem to be an issue with Polycom 430 phones. I have a bunch of 601’s, but there is nay an issue with any of them.

so they are not registered . you can register them through web interface of ip phones or through Conf files read through tftp . I suggest to install a new version of asterisk and register them in the new server .

Well, I have confirmed that the problem is only with the Soundpoint 430’s. None of my 601’s have any problems. All of the phones are set to use ftp with username and password, not tftp. The configuration of the 430’s are the same as the 601’s, (registered through the conf files) and before my colleague pulled the plug on the dead backup battery, everything worked perfectly.

What is the difference between a Polycom IP 430 and a Polycom IP 601 that would make the 430’s stop working?

My first thought would be to verify the boot sequence is working as expected.
Is DHCP handing out the correct information?
Are the phones connecting to the FTP server and properly downloading the configs?
Is it possible that a new firmware was on the server and was installed when the phones cold booted?
Is there a new version of firmware that can be installed?
Are the phones attempting to register.

I would break out the ol’ tcpdump from the toolbox and do some network traffic watching on the servers involved.

@dalenoll, thanks for your comments.

In a network scan, I can see all of those polycom 430’s with the right mac addresses matching the right ipaddresses - which means that dhcp is working.

How do I verify the boot sequence?

I am not sure if they are grabbing their files from the ftp server or not. I ran:
iptables -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 5060 -j ACCEPT
to make sure the port was open in the firewall.

On one of those phones, in the phone menu, I told it to reformat its file system and now it gets stuck on the "Welcome! Processing configuration " menu - although it does have the right ip address. Rev. 1.6.7.0094

Could new firmware come in automatically with yums? Noone else installed anything.

In Asterisk cli, there is nothing for those phones. No communication at all.

I have never installed firmware for polycom before. This is new territory for me.

Okay, I fixed it. I am not sure why it stopped working, but after I updated the firmware to rev 3.1.3, which is compatible with both polycom 430 and 601, it took, and now all my phones are working.

Thanks for your help, all.

Here is the version matrix with download links for the polycom sip revisions:
downloads.polycom.com/voice/voip … atrix.html

Okay, all of the phones are in order now except for one polycom ip430. When I plug it into the network (poe connection), it flashes the polycom screen with the three triangles. It never resolves. If I unplug it and plug it back in, I get the same thing. There doesn’t seem to be any way to talk to this phone.

Is it busted?

[quote=“BGM”]Okay, all of the phones are in order now except for one polycom ip430. When I plug it into the network (poe connection), it flashes the polycom screen with the three triangles. It never resolves. If I unplug it and plug it back in, I get the same thing. There doesn’t seem to be any way to talk to this phone.

Is it busted?[/quote]

There should be some message popping up when the phone tries to connect to the Boot Server. Usually it is just the wrong address and if you are running an older software before UCS 3.3.x the phone will need to load it’s sip.cfg and phone1.cfg or it wont boot.

Make a wireshark trace to see what the phone is trying to do.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

No, there are no messages at all. The phone instantly begins to flash its LCD screen with a big “Polycom” along with the Polycom triangles. I don’t think the phone is trying to communicate at all.

This particular phone’s config file looks just like all the other ones.

I even tried not plugging the phone into the network, and just using a power supply. Same thing. No messages - just the flashing “Polycom” screen.

Has anyone ever seen the flashing “polycom” screen? I think this phone is fried.