Outbound CallerID


#1

Hello,
I have a problem with the outbound CallerID on an Aastra 9143i phone. We have a user “Joe Smith” with three Aastra 9143i phones in different locations in our organization that are all connect together. Another user “Mary Jones” was having some issues with her phone, so we decided to switch her phone with one of Joe Smiths’. Everything works fine except that the outbound CallerID on Mary Jones’s phone still displays Joe Smith.
We are running Asterisk 1.8.3.3, FreePBX Version 2.8.1.4 and PBX in a Flash 1.7.5.5. I have searched everywhere and made changes to the Asterisk configuration files, MySQL database, the Aastra phone but the problem is still there. Any help or suggestions, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Rich Puglisi


#2

Hi rpuglisi!

I’m using Asterisk 1.4, but this might also work in 1.8.

If you are having your users in a realtime DB you might try:

For SIP:

sip prune realtime PEERNAME

then

sip show peer PEERNAME load

this is to flush and load the peer from db

For IAX2:

iax2 prune realtime PEERNAME

but i’m not sure if “iax2 show PEERNAME load” works for IAX2.

Virtually yours // Nypon


#3

Hi Nypon,
Thanks for your reply. We are using SIP. This is SIP show peer 100140 output for the device :

  • Name : 100140
    Secret :
    MD5Secret :
    Remote Secret:
    Context : from-internal
    Subscr.Cont. :
    Language :
    AMA flags : Unknown
    Transfer mode: open
    CallingPres : Presentation Allowed, Not Screened
    Callgroup :
    Pickupgroup :
    MOH Suggest :
    Mailbox : 100140@device
    VM Extension : *97
    LastMsgsSent : 32767/65535
    Call limit : 2147483647
    Max forwards : 0
    Dynamic : Yes
    Callerid : “140” <100140>
    MaxCallBR : 384 kbps
    Expire : 117
    Insecure : no
    Force rport : Yes
    ACL : Yes
    DirectMedACL : No
    T.38 support : No
    T.38 EC mode : Unknown
    T.38 MaxDtgrm: -1
    DirectMedia : No
    PromiscRedir : No
    User=Phone : No
    Video Support: No
    Text Support : No
    Ign SDP ver : No
    Trust RPID : No
    Send RPID : No
    Subscriptions: Yes
    Overlap dial : Yes
    DTMFmode : rfc2833
    Timer T1 : 500
    Timer B : 32000
    ToHost :
    Addr->IP : 192.168.230.176:5060
    Defaddr->IP : (null)
    Prim.Transp. : UDP
    Allowed.Trsp : TCP,UDP
    Def. Username: 100140
    SIP Options : (none)
    Codecs : 0x10e (gsm|ulaw|alaw|g729)
    Codec Order : (ulaw:20,alaw:20,gsm:20,g729:20)
    Auto-Framing : No
    100 on REG : No
    Status : OK (65 ms)
    Useragent : Aastra 9143i/3.2.1.43
    Reg. Contact : sip:100140@192.168.230.176:5060;transport=udp
    Qualify Freq : 60000 ms
    Sess-Timers : Accept
    Sess-Refresh : uas
    Sess-Expires : 1800 secs
    Min-Sess : 90 secs
    RTP Engine : asterisk
    Parkinglot :
    Use Reason : No
    Encryption : No

The user is 140 which is correct.

Rich


#4

Hi Rich!

If you are not using realtime I suppose you already have tried:

sip reload

I don’t know anything about the phone you have.
But in the phones I have, in the phone configuration I can add a caller-ID Name and Number.
If you have something there, delete it!

If this does not work, I’m not sure what more we can check.

Virtually yours // Nypon


#5

Nypon,
Thanks again for your help but the sip reload did not change anything. Also, I remove the callerid from the Global SIP settings on the Aastra phone and that made no difference either.
Rich