New to asterisk, need some basic questions answered

I’ve been reading everything I can find about asterisk for the past week, and I’ve got a couple of things I’m not clear on.

On my home network (behind a dlink router - nat) everything works fine. Got a couple softphones and a dta310 (with flash update) working just fine.

When I try to connect from outside my home network (using x-lite) I can connect, but when I call another extension or one of the * features (*61 for example) I get dead air. From everything I read, connecting from a network behind a nat router to an asterisk server behind a different nat router is difficult at best (using SIP.)

So I take that what I’m experiencing is normal? (I’ve got my asterisk server in the DMZ with the following ports forwarded to it, 4569, 2727, 5060, 5036, 100000 to 200000 (all UDP, with 5060 TCP forwarded also.)

So that takes me to IAX and IAX2, I take it that these are not compatible, meaning that if I configure a IAX2 extension using AMP that I need a IAX2 softphone?

Could someone recommend a decent windows IAX2 softphone?

And lastly, in the configuration for extensions, what is the significance of context. Everything I have set up (test extensions) are all ‘from-internal’. Does that mean that Asterisk is expecting it to be from the internal network (home network) or is it more like group/policy type thing?

Sorry for the rambling, but I think answers to the above would really help move me along.

Thanks in advance.

[quote=“ksmith08”]On my home network (behind a dlink router - nat) everything works fine. Got a couple softphones and a dta310 (with flash update) working just fine.

When I try to connect from outside my home network (using x-lite) I can connect, but when I call another extension or one of the * features (*61 for example) I get dead air. From everything I read, connecting from a network behind a nat router to an asterisk server behind a different nat router is difficult at best (using SIP.)[/quote]

It is, but if you use a STUN server on the client side this may assist. In X-Lite you may configure it for STUN and use a public STUN proxy like that of FWD here (in the FAQ):

freeworlddialup.com/communit … t/faq.php#

[quote=“FWD”]Does FWD have a STUN server available?

Yes, it’s located at stun.fwdnet.net:3478.[/quote]

The problem is probably on the X-Lite side and its NAT, as it sounds like the RTP streams are not making it back. You could also open the RTP ports on the NAT of the X-Lite network and forward those.

Correct.

Have a look at iaxclient.sourceforge.net/iaxcomm

The naming is arbitrary, how you use it becomes what it represents. As far as what this means within Asterisk@Home, it probably does represent some specific concept, but you would need to have a look at amp.coalescentsystems.ca/ for details.

Thanks for the quick reply…

I’ve got a few questions on FWD and how to make it interact with my server, but I’ll surf for a while before posting those questions, maybe I can find some answers on my own.

Thanks again.

Or not…

Lol, hard to find stuff sometimes. Not sure if I’m even searching for the right stuff.

I’ve got an FWD account, and have x-lite working with FWD.

Now, can I set up x-lite to use FWD’s stun server, and have it route calls through my asterisk box? Or do I need to configure FWD to send any incoming calls to me there?

I’ve got an iaxfwd trunk built, but don’t think I can test that till I get home.

Not sure if I’m understanding the process correctly here.

Thanks.

Try Idefisk IAX2 softphone

[quote=“ksmith08”]Or not…

Lol, hard to find stuff sometimes. Not sure if I’m even searching for the right stuff.

I’ve got an FWD account, and have x-lite working with FWD.

Now, can I set up x-lite to use FWD’s stun server, and have it route calls through my asterisk box? Or do I need to configure FWD to send any incoming calls to me there?

I’ve got an iaxfwd trunk built, but don’t think I can test that till I get home.

Not sure if I’m understanding the process correctly here.

Thanks.[/quote]

You do not need to be connected to FWD SIP/IAX2 to use their STUN server. So you may connect your X-Lite directly to your Asterisk and use the FWD STUN server to assist in traversing the local firewall.