New to Asterisk - Installation problems

Hello,

I’m completely new to Asterisk and fairly new to Linux. After hearing so much about this free PBX, I couldn’t wait to get going so I’ve bought a PC especially for this purpose, installed Mandriva 2006 and am in the process of installing Asterisk itself.

I’ve downloaded the * book, all the softwate I need and have started configuring. Unfortunately, it all went fairly smoothly until I tried to install the Asterisk software. The book states that I would need a bunch of extra software in order to install Asterisk so I downloaded and installed all of them (GCC version 4.0.1, Bison, ncurses, OpenSSL). All of these went in ok using RPMs but as there is no RPM for *, tried the source route. Here’s where I ran into trouble. Initially, I got a few strange errors “Internal compiler error: segmentation fault”. After a couple more attempts at running the make command in succession (it seemed to get further after every attempt), I got to a point where the following error persisted and I can’t get any further with the installation (/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lssd). I think this suggests that SSL is not present but I absolutely know it is because I installed it.

What have I done wrong? I don’t think I’ve missed any steps.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Charles.

did you install the -devel rpms for those packages ?

I don’t think so. There was nothing in the filename that would have suggested so anyway. I downloaded the RPMs mostly from rpmfind.net and installed them using the built in installer application.

maybe i should have been clearer … if you haven’t already, you need to install -devel papckages too.

from asteriskguru.com

[quote]* bison and bison-devel packages (This is used to build Asterisk)

• ncurses and ncurses-devel packages (Used to build astman, etc.)
  • zlib and zlib-devel packages
  • openssl and openssl-devel packages[/quote]

Unless you have a specific reason to use Mandriva 2006 for Asterisk, you can make your life much easier by installing Asterisk@home from an ISO image. Check it out here: asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/ It has everything needed, including the OS and administration tools and will run right away.
There is a very good documentation to go with Asterisk@Home.

There is even a vmware image you can read about here: serge.mankovski.com/voip/asteriskhome-25-vmware

Hi folks,

It’s been a while since I’ve had enough time to work on my Asterisk on Mandriva 2006 project. As advised, I downloaded and installed each -devel package (used RPMs). Each package installed successfully but I’m still getting the same error as before (/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lssl). I’m not sure what ro do next. RPMs seem to install fine but I can’t find one for Asterisk and Mandriva 2006. Any ideas?

BTW. I’m still considering the Asterisk@home option but since I’m using a wireless card in my box, I’m a bit hesitant about blowing away everything I’ve done so far and still not getting it to work because of the card.

Thanks again.
Charles.

it still looks like you’re missing the OpenSSL libs. did they install cleanly ? can you locate them ?