New system setup, need advice/help

ok, im looking into setting up an ip phone system.

when i do this, ill be purchasing a dell poweredge 2850, with dual 3.6ghz xeon’s, and plenty of memory.

i have a cisco 2431-8fxs provided by the data/voice provider (nuvox)
this has an amphenol connector on it, which runs on a 25 pair cable to a 66 block, which will be cross connected to another 66 block, so i can change the order of lines, and hold 1 or 2 out for fax and alarm systems, and credit cards. then what i want, is to have a card in the server, that i can just run an amphenol out of my cross-connect block, directly into the server.

so i need to know what card ill need to buy. i also need to be able to have my block of did’s onto the server aswell

i need to know how far i can go with the auto attendant on asterisk, as well as; IVR, and voicemail features.

im debating doing this, or using a 2821 and putting call manager express on it, or just using a uc520

im not sure but i think id likely get more features out of the asterisk setup than the CME setup

ill be using 7965g and 7925g phones, and possibly having smartphones with softphone software on them aswell, if i can find a client for the blackberry, maybe i can use bbes to help with that some…

if anyone has any advice id greatly appreciate it

looking into snom ip phones as well now

im starting to lean towards 3cx now, simply because when i come to this forum, im being ignored, wheras on 3cx’s forum, i have 3cx engineers, and 3cx users, all over my posts helping and giving advice, it seems like ill have more support with 3cx, than with asterisk.

Hi

Firstly you original post was more of a statement than a question, It was also hard to follow.

The second post was just a statement and the third was saying that 3cx is better…

The original also doesn’t make sense in many respects, why get voip lines to the Cisco gateway convert them to fxs then connect them to an fxo card !! why not connect the voip lines directly to the server?.

The only question hidden in it are [quote]so i need to know what card ill need to buy.[/quote] Note that you didnt put a ? at the end so not obviously a question and finally[quote] i need to know how far i can go with the auto attendant on asterisk, as well as; IVR, and voicemail features.[/quote] again no question mark and no mention of what you want to do or even how many users or to be honest anything to go on .

Have fun with your 3cx

Ian

[quote=“ianplain”]Hi

Firstly you original post was more of a statement than a question, It was also hard to follow.

The second post was just a statement and the third was saying that 3cx is better…

The original also doesn’t make sense in many respects, why get voip lines to the Cisco gateway convert them to fxs then connect them to an fxo card !! why not connect the voip lines directly to the server?.

The only question hidden in it are [quote]so i need to know what card ill need to buy.[/quote] Note that you didnt put a ? at the end so not obviously a question and finally[quote] i need to know how far i can go with the auto attendant on asterisk, as well as; IVR, and voicemail features.[/quote] again no question mark and no mention of what you want to do or even how many users or to be honest anything to go on .

Have fun with your 3cx

Ian[/quote]

first, not once did i say 3cx was better, learn to read. I was making a statement, that i was getting more help, and advice out of the 3cx community, and it was beginning to be a deciding factor on which software i decided to go with.

second, yes, it was more or less in the form of a statement. stating what i needed advice on, from those who know more than I about this system.

third, as far as the auto attendant and ivr goes, that’s pretty simple to figure out, i was trying to get someone to tell me how feature-full these are in asterisk. as far as user base, well, i mean its pretty simple to see, that if i have 15 hand sets, and 5 mobiles that im looking at, id have no more than 20 phones in use.

and the reason to bring the lines into the cisco and convert them to fxs, is as follows: I have VoIP from nuvox, it runs on a T1 Integrated Access service, therefore; Nuvox installed a cisco 2431-8fxs, so my service comes from the smart jack, runs on a cat5 cable from the smart jack, to my data rack, then hooks into the 2431, the 2431 is what the PHONE COMPANY uses to give me my voice lines. my 8 lines come out of the cisco in the form of an amphenol connector, and 25pair telco cable, this goes to a 66 block that the other end of the 25pair plugs into with another amphenol end, i then have another 66 block, that i cross connect and re-order lines the way I WANT them, and exclude lines for other purposes, from my pbx system. since this is all already wired, and well quite frankly, i dont want to have to change the entire way my T1 service is worked. id really rather keep it like this, run it out of the IAD (Integrated Access Device) and to my cross-connect blocks so i can order them the way I WANT, and exclude which lines I WANT, and then run the lines i do want, in the order i want, back into the server

does that make sense?

My question was, for scalability, i need a card that can handle 8+ lines, and i would PREFER, an amphenol connector on the card, so that its cleaner and easier

thank you for the smart-ass response, I really hope digium(sp?) does not rely on the community to help attract people to the products they offer