New asterisk on ubuntu user

I’ve had a search through the wiki and forums, but it seems that my dim and basic question hasn’t been answered (else, which is more likely, I can’t find where to look).

I have Ubuntu (Dapper) and have installed through synaptic package manager the asterisk package. How can I launch the package ? i.e. how can I start the program ?

Sorry if this is basic and I’m missing something, but a simple asterisk in the terminal doesn’t work, and there are several bits of asterisk software installed on the box.

Hope someone can guide me here.

Or would it be the case that I’d have to compile myself (but why the package, I wonder ?)

Thanks for any help out there.

I think im also having the same problem using ubuntu. I didn’t follow the installation instructions in the oreilly book because ubuntu already has the package in their repositories. I also installed the dependencies as listed below, all of them satisfying the suggested versions. but I can’t have asterisk to work.

when I run this in the terminal

asterisk -cvvvvv

it seems that its working just fine until it arrived at these lines…

[func_uri.so] => (URI encode/decode functions)
== Registered custom function URIDECODE
== Registered custom function URIENCODE
[skipping chan_capi.so]
[color=red] [rate_engine.so]Jul 17 17:16:01 WARNING[11784]: loader.c:325 __load_resource: /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/rate_engine.so: undefined symbol: ast_pthread_create
Jul 17 17:16:01 WARNING[11784]: loader.c:554 load_modules: Loading module rate_engine.so failed![/color]

can someone help me with this. pls help us. thanx!

-rusty

my asterisk and installed dependencies:

asterisk (= 1:1.2.7.1dsfg-2ubu)

[dep] asterisk-sounds-main (>= 1:1.0.2) sound files for asterisk

[dep] libasound2 (>> 1.0.8)
ALSA library

[dep] libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4) GNU C Library: Shared libraries and Timezone data

[dep] libgsm1 (>= 1.0.10)
Shared libraries for GSM speech compressor

[dep] libncurses5 (>= 5.4-1)
Shared libraries for terminal handling

[dep] libnewt0.51 Not Erik’s Windowing Toolkit - text mode windowing with slang

[dep] libpq3 (>= 7.4)
PostgreSQL C client library

[dep] libpri1 (>= 1.0.6)
Primary Rate ISDN specification library

[dep] libsqlite0 (>= 2.8.15)
SQLite shared library

[dep] libssl0.9.7
SSL shared libraries

[dep] libtonezone1 (>= 1:1.0.6-1)
tonezone library (runtime)

[dep] unixodbc
ODBC tools libraries

[dep] zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1)
compression library - runtime

[sug] asterisk-dev
development files for asterisk

[sug] asterisk-doc
documentation for asterisk

[sug] gnomemeeting
The GnomeMeeting Voice Over IP Suite

[sug] kphone
Voice over IP (VoIP) phone application

[sug] mpg123
MPEG layer 1/2/3 audio player

[sug] ohphone
Command line H.323 client with X, SVGA and SDL support

[sug] rate-engine
Asterisk least cost routing module

is it already running ? if you issue an “asterisk -r” does it connect or fail ? have you setup any config files yet ? is there an init script already in /etc/init.d for Asterisk ? if you start Asterisk manually (from the install dir if required), i.e. “asterisk -cvvvvv” what happens ? anything in /var/log/asterisk/full ?

well it would seem that a RouteCall dependency is not being met there. if you don’t want to use the RouteCall functionality you could just add noload => rate_engine.so to /etc/asterisk/modules.conf to stop Asterisk trying to load it.

if I do asterisk -cvvvvv then I get a permissioning problem
if I do sudo asterisk -cvvvvv then I get “unable to open pid file ‘/var/run/asterisk/asterisk.pid’:No such file or directory”

Does this ring any bells ?

Thanks for all the help here

what are the permissions on the /var/lib/asterisk directory ? did the package install particular permissions and an apporpriate non-root user ? are you logged in as root or as another user and su’ing ?

to be honest, if the package isn’t cutting it and you can’t get help on the Ubuntu forums, you might be better off removing the package and installing from the tarballs.

baconbuttie wrote:
well it would seem that a RouteCall dependency is not being met there. if you don’t want to use the RouteCall functionality you could just add
Code:
noload => rate_engine.so
to /etc/asterisk/modules.conf to stop Asterisk trying to load it.

thanx bacon. I already removed the rate_engine.so file and asterisk seems to work but with some warnings. I have a question though, why does this happen if I type the command:

razz@razz:~$ asterisk -r
Unable to connect to remote asterisk (does /var/run/asterisk/asterisk.ctl exist?)

but the asterisk -cvvvvv command outputs that asterisk is already ready. I got a little confused there. :confused:

jrleighton wrote:
   if I do asterisk -cvvvvv then I get a permissioning problem
   if I do sudo asterisk -cvvvvv then I get "unable to open pid file    '/var/run/asterisk/asterisk.pid':No such file or directory"

Does this ring any bells ?

Thanks for all the help here

Try to check the asterisk required files that i’ve mentioned in the synaptic package manager. maybe you’re missing one dependency or two.

well, does /var/run/asterisk/asterisk.ctl exist when you’re running an instance of Asterisk ? and does your user have privileges to see it ?

-well, does /var/run/asterisk/asterisk.ctl exist when you’re running an instance of Asterisk ? and does your user have privileges to see it ?

No, that fine does not exist.

-anything in /var/log/asterisk/full ?

no. /full does not exist

-is there an init script already in /etc/init.d for Asterisk?

errr… that file doesn’t exist (so no). is this a file that might have a slightly different name depending on the distribution ? I am Ubuntu (and new to all this, if that was a dumb question)

-what are the permissions on the /var/lib/asterisk directory ?

user “asterisk” has appropriate read/write privileges. I installed using Synaptic Package Manager, so I would have installed as sudo root.

-Try to check the asterisk required files that i’ve mentioned in the synaptic package manager. maybe you’re missing one dependency or two.

have checked all of ratzys packaged listed and installed a couple of missing ones - I still get the original error that I posted.

Any chance someone still can help me here please ? If not, then the next option I guess is to try to compile myself from the tarball.

Thoughts ? Thanks for the help

are there any contact details in the ubuntu package for the maintainer ? if not, and you can’t get an answer from the ubuntu community, it might be best to do what you suggest.

I had the same problem when I downloaded the packages from the Ubuntu repositories. Compiling from source seems to work fine for me. One thing though – when you say asterisk isn’t running, have you run ‘ps -e | grep asterisk’ ? If asterisk is indeed running, you’ll see the appropriate process listed. If not, nothing. I actually downloaded from the SVN repository and have had great luck so far.