MWI remains on on Cisco phones

I have 2 Cisco phones, a SPA303 and an SPA502G. Both have mailboxes in the form 1234@default set in pjsip.conf and voice mail works fine. I am able to leave a vm and access it from the IVR, listen to it and delete it. I have confirmed that the files get deleted when I press 7 in VM. My problem is that the MWI stays on showing that a voice mail message is waiting. If I dial in and access VM, I get a message that there are no messages. There are no old messages either.

I can tell you what works on a SPA 962, no guarantee it will works for a SPA 502G though!
In pjsip.conf, set mailboxes = 1234@default,5678@defaut… in the aor section.
On the phone under the appropriate extension tab, set “message waiting” to yes and put the address, and port if not 5060, of the host running asterisk in “voicemail server”.
That works for me!
Regards
Ian

In the SPA502G there is no section “voicemail sever”. I have set the mailboxes section as you suggest in the aor section. On the phone side I have set message waiting to yes and sip port to 5060. The MWI remains on even though the vm app has no messages waiting.

On the 502, under the Ext1 tab, in Admin/Advanced mode, in the Call Feature Settings, there is a Voice Mail Server option.

1 Like

Thank you! I never saw the advanced option for user. This was under User/advanced options not Admin.

However, your question prompted me to investigate this, and it does seem a bit random. The MWI behaves correctly about half the time, i.e. the light comes on when there is a voicemail and goes off when it’s deleted. It works correctly all the time with chan_sip, so I assume Asterisk is behaving differently with pjsip. I am in the process of migrating from chan_sip to pjsip, and so far I have it migrated only 2 phones so no one has noticed yet.

I have moved the mailboxes= line from the aor to the endpoint in pjsip.conf, and (so far) it seems to work
reliably, albeit with a few seconds of delay.

Regards
Ian

1 Like

Thanks for that tip, I applied it and it seems to be working fine.