Incoming calls through normal land line

Can Asterisk be used as a PBX without actually using VOIP? i.e. on a computer connected to a normal telephone line using a modem?

Don’t need to use voip (SIP, IAX or H323), can’t use a modem, you need an analog card like this: digium.com/en/products/analog/tdm410.php .

Cheers.

Marco Bruni

A pity it wont work with an analog modem. I would have found it easier to do a test and convince my boss than if I have to buy something first.

How come a modem cant receive tha call and communicate with Asterisk, when it can do that with a Fax and software like Zetafax.

[quote=“alex53”]A pity it wont work with an analog modem. I would have found it easier to do a test and convince my boss than if I have to buy something first.

How come a modem cant receive tha call and communicate with Asterisk, when it can do that with a Fax and software like Zetafax.[/quote]
Well, I don’t think it can be just any modem. An X100P clone is probably the cheapest way to try it out, if you don’t already have a compatible modem: voip-info.org/tiki-index.php … 100P+clone

There is either a terminology problem here, or you are not asking what you appear to be asking.

Modems are needed when you have an analogue signal encoding a digital one. On an ordinary landline telephone, an analogue signal encodes an analogue one.

Modern modems contain a codec to convert an analogue signal to a digital representation of it, followed by digital signal processing to convert that into the digital data. Some products, called voice modems, allow access to the codec without the actual modulation/demodulation functions, but they are not acting as modems.

To complicate matters, there was a trend for modems for Windows to use the PC to do the digital signal processing, so the actual modem card is just a codec. I believe the X100P is really a rebranded version of such a device.

On the other hand, what you might mean is voice over IP using an analogue modem for the IP. That’s still VoIP, even if it doesn’t use ethernet.

Fax is digital data, so needs the full modem functions, not just the codec.