I have around 20 personal computers in LAN which needs to be

My assignment today is:
I have around 20 personal computers in LAN which needs to be communicated with asterisk software pbx within a week of time.The usage is for calling inside the campus as well as outside PSTN numbers

Please I am newbie, somebody help me

Hope I need Wildcard TDM400P and a Linux Server

Any suggestions from other users who utilize this sw the same way, are very much welcome.

Thanks All

You expect to go from knowing nothing to being competent to install and maintain asterisk within a week???! Good luck, that’s all i can say!

You’d better get reading!

voip-info.org

Anyway, you’ll need a LAN set up between the boxes and the asterisk server and a softphone running on each one. Depending on what sort of TDM400P you’ve got, you may be able to use that to connect to the PSTN.

my assignment was like that, timebounded;

but after thorough case study only i will be concluding and then implementing.

If you need help on this, and you are located within the benelux area,

kahuna network solutions can help you oin this.

we have implemented several locations for our customers with asterisk, and connections to PSTN, no problem…

contact Joan van de Swaluw joan.vandeswaluw@kahuna.nl

for pricing information…

1 week is cutting it close if you aren’t knowledgeable, but, ofcourse, nothing is impossible :smiley:

Joash

so i consider other applications downloadable;

like http://www.etntelephone.com/talkpctopc/ this;

actually the solution can be a trial one for now, then I can go for standardized one in future

infact i am asked to get the job done in Linux environment, so still trying.

[quote=“infra”]so i consider other applications downloadable;

like etntelephone.com/talkpctopc/[/quote]

At a very cursory glance, it looks like crap. I don’t think it’s what you want, anyway.

As far as linux softphones go, i’ve tried out quite a few.

For general purpose use, iaxComm’s one i’ve used quite a bit and would like to be able to use - but i seem to get audio quality problems with it (although it’s hard to pin it down).

Kiax could be ok, but i’m not all that keen on it. Although i can’t remember why now!

SJPhone is the one i’m using at the moment and the one that seems to work best out of everything i’ve tried. It’s pretty good generally, but i haven’t been all that keen on it’s user interface. Although i like it more than i used to, but it’s got a couple of annoying limitations - like the “-geometry” option doesn’t seem to work with it, for example.

And Linphone’s one i’ve used a bit and would like to be able to use more - but i can’t get it to work properly on my current setup (and i can’t get the CVS version to build!). It’s the only one that works with the jack audio connection kit - which would allow it to be used in a radio studio for example, for talkback or phone recording. I really want to get it working again!

That’s it for linux softphones, as far as i’m concerned. There’s one (“cornfed sipua” i think) which looks potentially ok, but has got some dodgy built-in monitoring system which sends reports on how you’re using it to the developer!!! And one or two others which just don’t seem to work or have other problems which make them not much use.

I considered SJPhone,but the task will include calls to outside PSTN numbers also.

As far as SJPhone is concerned, For internet calls and for calls to / from regular telephones, we may need to purchase a service VOIP provider.

As I am insisted on toll free solution, that is, using existing internet connection, i could not apply SJPhone for making outside calls.

I am trying for a total solution that provides the facility of calling PC to PC, as well as calls to PSTN,

I came across this,

sipsoftware.com/lipz4.html

Will be checking it.

Lipz4 - yeah, tried it. Don’t like it. Can’t remember why now.

SJPhone is as capable of making calls to PSTN phones as any other softphone. I use it for that purpose all the time.

No VOIP phone can make calls via the internet to PSTN phones unless you have an account with a VOIP–>PSTN service provider.

nice to know a practical user of SJPhone!

iaxComm is good and has only one problem - as far as I know, doesn’t support SIP.

SJPhone has the same/oposit problem like iaxComm. SJPhone, as far as I know, doesn’t support IAX. Also, SJPhone has one big advantage, it has softwer that you can run on IPAQ H6340 (or any other pocket PC), so you can use the same softver on IPAQ and PC.

The only softver I have found that supports bouth IAX and SIP is Firefly. I have just started to use it. If it head version for pocket PC, then he would be the only softphone that I will use.

No, only iax2.

True, only sip.

The only problem with Firefly is it doesn’t support linux! :wink:

but i found here that sjlabs.com/sjp.html SJ supports H323 also.

Is it a must that my softphone should support IAX too?

also i have DSL 128kbps internet connection, which hardware needed to make calls to PSTN?

which PCI card / telephony board i should ask?

[quote=“infra”]but i found here that sjlabs.com/sjp.html SJ supports H323 also.

Is it a must that my softphone should support IAX too?[/quote]

No.

[quote]also i have DSL 128kbps internet connection, which hardware needed to make calls to PSTN?

which PCI card / telephony board i should ask?[/quote]

Mate, you really need to go off and do some reading:

voip-info.org/tiki-index.php