How to find out Asterisk Server's ip address?

Hi Members,
Kindly find attached herewith an image for the position I have been stuck at for the past 2 days. I have searched many times in google but not even a precise reply all over there. Please Help. In my Google search, I found one link which instructs me to put the i.p address of the Asterisk’s Server. The Problem is How to find it out?

You ask the person responsible for designing your network, as this address should be static and should have been decided as part of the system design.

On a typical system, running ifconfig, as root, will tell you the addresses of your interfaces on the machine running the Asterisk daemon. However, if you need to do this, there has almost certainly been an error in the network design process.

You need to do some background reading on internet fundamental before attempting to configure a VoIP system.

1 Like

dear prabha
first of all ignore my language is to weak my english and …which operating system are you using … for linux mostly using this command line for get ip address ( ifconfig )
or if you are using domain name on your server then also you can use domain name for register client sip or iax…

1 Like

Dear Members, thanks for the reply. It’s getting late here. Going to sleep now. Will surely try the ifconfig in the Morning and give feedback. Thanks for the replies.

Dear Friend,
First of all, Your English is not bad. I am using the latest version of Debian OS along with the latest version of Asterisk. I tried using ifconfig command both on Debian and also inside the Asterisk CLI too. But I am getting the message like: “Command Not Found” or something like that. When I checked the Domain name, its coming blank. I also slightly remember that I haven’t given a Domain Name while installing the asterisk. I need your help. Please consider and Kindly do the needful.

With Hope,
Prabhakaran

Hi,
I have found the domain name of my Debian OS. It’s nothing but “Debian” only. I believe Domain Name and Hostname are same. Anyways I tried giving that Domain Name on the Zoiper settings screen. But I got the below message on the following picture:

In post #4, you introduced a new clue:

You installed Asterisk? Then you should know a bit more about Linux and networking.

Your screen shots look something like a virtual machine instance.

Let’s take a few steps back and please explain what you are trying to do.

I’m guessing it’s something like: I want to install Asterisk in a Linux virtual machine instance on my Windows desktop so that I can run Zoiper on Windows on my desktop and make and receive calls with the goal of learning how to write applications in Asterisk.

Your turn…

You definitely don’t know enough about networking to attempt this project.

ifconfig needs to be run from a root shell. It is not an Asterisk CLI command and it will not be found if you run it as an ordinary user, although it doesn’t seem to require privileges, so will actually run if you give the full name: “/sbin/ifonfig”.

However, unless you design your network properly, which may involve correct configuration of your router, you may find that the address changes every time you reboot the machine running the asterisk daemon. DHCP servers in routers can be clever and try and reassign the same address after a reboot, but you may find occasions when this doesn’t work.

Basically you should not be trying to find the address of the machine running Asterisk; you should be configuring the system to ensure it has an address that you have chosen (and which is compatible with your network and won’t get allocated to anything else).

Guys. I am typing a very long post as a reply. It may take a day or two. Kindly hold on. Thank you.

Hi Members,
I guess I have missed two things to do while installing the asterisk which makes the current situation not working.

1. I haven’t made Menu Selection as my Virtual Box is not giving the bigger resolution than the required to make the Menus.
  2. The Other thing is I haven’t installed pjpsip which only I guess will enable the protocols required.

If you want to understand my notions, I request you people to Kindly go through my initial post, Especially the following two:

Let me clarify my current requirements:

1. I am an active jobseeker. So I want to enable IVRS like the below:

Assume, I am receiving a call on my mobile. First the system has to welcome the Dialler:
"Welcome to Prabhakaran’s Interactive Voice Response Service:
“If you are a HR, Please Press 1”
“If this Call is a Promotion call for Credit Cards and Loans, Please Press 2”
After Pressing 2: “Thank you for calling Me, Your call have been registered. Prabhakaran will definitely call you back”.
Like that, I have so many things in my Mind. Simply Said, I want to come to a position in which where I can able to do whatever I want to do in Asterisk. Hope you help. Thank You.
Anyone know where I can download the Book: Asterisk: The Definitive Guide 5th Edition.
I am able to download till the 4th Version but not the Fifth. It’s so costly on Amazon.in
1,600 INR.
Dear Members. Please Help. Thank You.

1. Asterisk is not a good starting project for a ‘true amateur.’ It requires Linux skills, networking skills, and some familiarity with telecom concepts will be a big help. Running Asterisk in a VM adds another layer of complexity. Running Asterisk in a VM on Windows? Yet another layer. I suspect you will find very few members who have experience with this environment.

2. Searching Airtel for ‘asterisk’ or ‘sip’ yields no hits. Without support from Airtel, it may be impossible to use their telephony service. However, ‘bundled’ services are rarely the best choice. Dedicated SIP providers may have better prices and more knowledgeable support staff. For example, I rent a DID from Vitelity for US$1.50 / month and US$0.011 / minute. They have Asterisk configuration example snippets on their web site and their support staff knows common issues.

3. You may want to consider installing a ‘canned’ Asterisk centric distribution like FreePBX. This will give you a running Linux system with Asterisk already installed, along with the FreePBX web based interface. I have no clue if they support running in a VM on Windows. Going this route means you will need to direct any questions to a FreePBX forum as it is not the focus of this forum and is not well known here. This may be a good path for you to gain some needed skills before attempting a ‘bare metal’ Asterisk install.

4. Also not the focus of this forum is basic OS configuration tasks like setting static IP addresses, configuring DHCP, configuring DNS, creating users, setting permissions, etc.

5. I suspect ‘Asterisk: The Definitive Guide 4th Edition’ will be more than sufficient for almost anything you are likely to come across, except it only covers up to Asterisk 11 so you’ll be on your own with chan_pjsip but you can still install chan_sip with current Asterisk releases.

1 Like

I do not really know whether what the others say about @prabha_friend lacking knowledge is true ; perhaps it is if ifconfig was unknown to them. I did want to say that I’ve made over the past few months a project that seems to do exactly what @prabha_friend wants, albeit not within a VM, and much less within Windows on virtualbox.

As for the question asked at the beginning of this post, I’ve answered this specific question at the section called Configure your phones/softphones. Here is what I wrote:

Now specify which SIP URI to register to. What we write here should look like <aor>@<domain_name>:<port> , where:

• <aor> is one of the AORs in pjsip.conf ( linux in my case).
  • <domain_name> is our Asterisk server’s domain name, subdomain name or IP address compared to where the computer running Zoiper currently is . If you are on the same network as the server, you will probably have to use the server’s private IP address, which you can obtain by running the ip addr command on the server. If you are outside of home, this is the same <domain_name> as what you specified earlier when setting up your VoipMS server. This also means you will need to change the server’s domain name if you leave home or if you had left home but are now back home. The reason for this is that home routers usually don’t support sending packets to their own public IP address from inside the network.
  • <port> is the UDP port number of Asterisk’s SIP server. This must be the same port as you specified earlier when setting up the VoipMS account.

(Note: I am not advocating for VoipMS even if my project is configured for it ; I just happened to port my ISP’s phone number to their service)

1 Like

Hi Dentiger,
I am so sorry that I haven’t read your reply properly. I thought this also is an one more reply criticising my budding talent. Anyways, thank you so much for understanding me and your caring reply. Just give Me sometime. I’ll go through it and come back to it. Thanks a lot.

• Prabhakaran

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.