Help with Asterisk as a Voip Gateway

We are a public library who is about to lose our T1 lines as the network we are on is upgraded to a new MPLS system. The problem is that we have some of our voice traffic going over the T1s. So we now have to find a solution. We are basically thinking of setting up Asterisk as a VOIP gateway at each of our branches, but had a few questions.

I’ve outlined everything in detail including pictures on this page: kenosha.lib.wi.us/AsteriskHelp.html

We would surely appreciate any help!

Regards,
Kenosha Public Library I.T.

The only thing I see that I might change in the goal topology looks like you planning on 3 T1 lines into the asterisk box but only using 9 lines each you could do this over 1 T1 line. Then again you could do away with all the PBXs all together and just use asterisk

We would condense the T1s into the main asterisk box if we were brave enough to crack open our pbx and do our own wiring. =) Our long term goal is to actually get rid of the existing PBXs and use Asterisk alone. But we are short on time and would like to throw something up quick and seamless.

So then as far as the wires going from the PBX to Adtran, could we simply unplug them from the Adtran and put them directly into a TE406P card?

Thanks for your time and input.

Regards,

So then as far as the wires going from the PBX to Adtran, could we simply unplug them from the Adtran and put them directly into a TE406P card?

Yes just make sure they are T1 lines but you still going to need to know how the PBX or the Adtran has those lines configured so you can configure asterisk. Are they d4,ami, or esf,b8zs or something else

Here is a link to using asterisk with legacy PBXs maybe your is listed here. There is tons of good info on that site

voip-info.org/wiki/view/Aste … ntegration

[quote=“rusty”]Yes just make sure they are T1 lines but you still going to need to know how the PBX or the Adtran has those lines configured so you can configure asterisk. Are they d4,ami, or esf,b8zs or something else

Here is a link to using asterisk with legacy PBXs maybe your is listed here. There is tons of good info on that site

voip-info.org/wiki/view/Aste … ntegration[/quote]

Thanks for the response. When we log into the Adtran we can see that ESF/B8ZS is being used.

I guess the only question we have left is how much configuration of Asterisk will this take? We still want to use the voicemail and all the functionality of our existing PBX. Does Asterisk have a simple way of just acting as a gateway?

Thanks for your time.

well nothing in asterisk is really simple untill you get the feel for it. It shouldnt be much to confgiure in a systems like yours