Help setting up Asterisk!

I am in the process of creating my first Asterisk VOIP System from scratch, but have been unsuccessful getting it to work. I am running Linux Red Hat 9. I have followed tutorials online, and looked through documentation but have not been able to get in installed successfully. My end goal is to have an asterisk system setup that looks similar to the switchvox system. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

hi Rouses,

If you could come back with more specific questions you will be more likely to get an answer.

Whats the first problem you are encountering?

Cheers,

seabro

Hi

If you want to create an Asterisk system that is similar to Switchvox and you put a value on your time, The cost of your time will FAR exceeed the cost of paying for switchvox. Why not look at Asterisknow PIAF or Trixbox

Ian

Here are the exact steps I am taking to install Asterisk.

Download asterisk-1.4.28.tar.gz and place it in /usr/src

unzip asterisk-1.4.28.tar.gz

[code][root@R24S-PBX asterisk-1.4.28]#tar xvf asterisk-1.4.28.tar

[root@R24S-PBX asterisk-1.4.28]#cd asterisk-1.4.28

[root@R24S-PBX asterisk-1.4.28]#./configure

[root@R24S-PBX asterisk-1.4.28]#make menuconfig

[root@R24S-PBX asterisk-1.4.28]#make

It begins to run then at the end I get this message below:

_ASTCFLAGS="-I/usr/src/asterisk-1.4.28/include -pipe -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -g3 -march=i686 -O6" ASTCFLAGS=" -Wno-strict-aliasing" make -C db1-ast libdb1.a
make[2]: Entering directory /usr/src/asterisk-1.4.28/main/db1-ast' [CC] hash/hash.c -> hash/hash.o cc1: unrecognized option-Wno-strict-aliasing’
make[2]: *** [hash/hash.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory /usr/src/asterisk-1.4.28/main/db1-ast' make[1]: *** [db1-ast/libdb1.a] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory/usr/src/asterisk-1.4.28/main’
make: *** [main] Error 2
[root@R24S-PBX asterisk-1.4.28]#[/code]

I have not yet been able to get past that part. I am installing this on Red Hat 9. I’m not sure if I may do not have the correct packages installed for Red Hat. It doesn’t have to be exactly like Switchvox, but I was hoping to eventually have a GUI interface smilar to Digium’s Switchvox. Here are the packages that I choose when installing Red Hat:

bison
cvs
gcc
kernel-source
libtermcap-devel
newt-devel
ncurses-devel
openssl096b
openssl-devel
readline41
readline-devel

Thanks,

Why don’t use asterisk 1.6.2.0?

No reason really. I will give it a try and post my results.

After trying asterisk-1.6.0.20.tar.gz I am getting the same results. Not sure where to go from here. Any other ideas?

creating Makefile creating makelist creating config.h [CC] hash/hash.c -> hash/hash.o cc1: unrecognized option `-Wno-strict-aliasing' make[2]: *** [hash/hash.o] Error 1 make[1]: *** [db1-ast/libdb1.a] Error 2 make: *** [main] Error 2 [root@R24S-PBX asterisk-1.6.0.20]#

What options you selected in the menu select, maybe a dependencies issue too.

In centos I install this: gcc newt-devel libusb-devel glibc-devel ncurses-devel openssl-devel zlib-devel mysql-devel and update kernel and kernel-devel

I didn’t select any options in the menu select. The instructions I followed said to just press x on that screen. I have a list of all red had packages I installed and when it showed me their dependencies I just allowed them to be installed also.

I will try adding those you have listed and let you know my results.

These are the instructions I am following to install Red Hat 9.

http://www.dynx.net/ASTERISK/DOCS/PDF/asterisk_rh9_install-v1.3.pdf

[quote=“navaismo”]What options you selected in the menu select, maybe a dependencies issue too.

In centos I install this: gcc newt-devel libusb-devel glibc-devel ncurses-devel openssl-devel zlib-devel mysql-devel and update kernel and kernel-devel[/quote]

I tried adding those items you listed in your post, but after running make again, i still am getting that same error message. Is Red Hat not a good option for installing Asterisk?

[CC] hash/hash.c -> hash/hash.o cc1: unrecognized option `-Wno-strict-aliasing' make[2]: *** [hash/hash.o] Error 1 make[1]: *** [db1-ast/libdb1.a] Error 2 make: *** [main] Error 2

I think is a compiler Issue, not for OS, as you see there are many asterisk running under REDHAT. I was googling an this error/warning is present in other programs compilations:

Here one guy comments a one possible solution for his program.

I actually came across that posting already. I was unable to find that line of command he was referring to.

In asterisk 1.6.2.0 here the files wich contents the string:

$sourcedirectory/asterisk-1.6.2.0/channels/Makefile:misdn/isdn_lib.o: _ASTCFLAGS+=-Wno-strict-aliasing
$sourcedirectory/asterisk-1.6.2.0/main/Makefile: _ASTCFLAGS="$(_ASTCFLAGS)" ASTCFLAGS="$(ASTCFLAGS) -Wno-strict-aliasing" $(MAKE) -C db1-ast libdb1.a

$sourcedirectory for me is /usr/src

Okay, I found those lines, but I am not sure what I need to do with them. Do you have any ideas?

already I’m testing with comment the two lines but still with errors. Now asterisk is compiling again .

Ok, compiled successfully. Asterisk apparently is running very well in mandriva 2010 with no analog or digital cards and witouth dahdi libopenr2 or other. Just compiled asterisk.

In the $sourcedirectory/asterisk-1.6.2.0/main/Makefile I change this:

for this:

I’m not sure the effect to do that but at this moment works fine.

After making that change, I ran ‘make’ again and now I am getting this error.

[root@R24S-PBX asterisk-1.6.0.20]# make Makefile:179: *** missing separator. Stop. make: *** [main] Error 2

Do in the source directory a:

then

#cd .. #rm -rf asterisk-1.6.2.0/ #tar zxvf asterisk-1.6.2.0.tar.gz #cd asterisk-1.6.2.0 #nano main/Makefile

Edit the line

with this:

then:

#./configure #make

and hope