[HELP] Asterisk / Zaptel Configuration w/ Digium TE405P

I’m working with the TE405P ( second revision ) and v. 1.0.9 of Asterisk / Zaptel on Suse 9.3. I am using the T-1’s to communicate with a legacy system over a private network. I have both machines set to use D4 framing, with AMI line coding, and e&m wink start signalling. Here are my Asterisk / Zaptel config files.

zaptel.conf
span=1,1,0,d4,ami
span=2,2,0,d4,ami
span=3,3,0,d4,ami
span=4,4,0,d4,ami
e&m=1-96

zapata.conf
[trunkgroups]
spanmap => 1,1,1
spanmap => 2,1,2
spanmap => 3,1,3
spanmap => 4,1,4
[channels]
language=en
context=default
signalling=em_w
usecallerid=yes
echocancel=yes
echocancelwhenbridged=yes
group=1
signalling=em_w
channel => 1-96

Sometimes the machine will boot, load the drivers, and run asterisk perfectly. Othertimes, no set pattern, it will boot load the drivers, and run asterisk but not work.

When it works, the lights on both cards will go green. Zttool will show no alarms, and asterisk will show a notice that all of the alarms on the channel have been cleared.

When it doesn’t work, the Digium card will show a green light, the legacy system ( NMS ) will show a remote yellow alarm. Zttool confirms the yellow alarm which says ‘recovering’. Asterisk attempts to do things but cannot. If I try to call an extension via a Zap channel, I get a busy signal. If I try to make a SIP call, it connects but call progress freezes when plays a voice file.

I need figure out why it doesn’t work all of the time, what it causing the error, and how to fix it.

Thanks in advance for any help