FXO Gateway

Hello,

I was wondering if you could help me with simple question.

I am working/testing on a remote public server and i installed 4 OpenVZ containers. One of those is my asterisk server.

I already have everthing working fine, except incoming calls. Im using softphones in my local network and now im thinking in making and receive calls through PSTN line. In your opinion what is the best way to connect my local PSTN Line to my remote public Asterisk Server?
Do i use a FXO Gateway for that? I was looking for something cheap and reliable for a small office.

Thank you for your help!

You definitly need a FXO-VoIP gateway for your setup.

I don’t do cheap gateways, so I don’t have any experience with them. Check out Linksys and Grandstream gateways. I think they make less expensive devices that migh suit your needs.

[quote=“dejanst”]You definitly need a FXO-VoIP gateway for your setup.

I don’t do cheap gateways, so I don’t have any experience with them. Check out Linksys and Grandstream gateways. I think they make less expensive devices that migh suit your needs.[/quote]

As i thought. For testing purposes i think i will go for a cheap one. :smile:

For what i’ve seen and read, im aware that it may cost me some quality loss this setup. Do you have any experience in setting up PSTN lines with remote Asterisk server? Is it ok? Decent audio quality?
My server is in France, my Voip provider in UK and my PSTN line in Portugal! :smile:

Thank you for your response!
cheers

The quality will be impared a bit, but should be OK with a decent internet uplink. If you will have Asterisk-Gateway ping below 150ms, minimum jitter and no packet loss, you should be fine :wink:.

Note that the use of a virtual machine will be degrading the jitter. Loaded hosts can severely degrade it.