Email Notification for voicemail to external email address

All,

I have a problem. The company I work for has been bought out by a bigger company. The employees are in the process of changing all their email addresses to the new company name. I have my voicemail.conf file setup to email users when they have a voicemail message. The mail server that was used to notify everybody is on the same network as the Asterisk PBX. Now I have to change all the emails in the voicemail.conf file to the new company’s email addresses. The email server for them are external of the network that the Asterisk sits on. I have change a couple to test but the email notification is not happening. Any idea what is going on and how to resolve. Is there something else that I need to do to get the emails to work? I am new to the Asterisk and have been forced to take over for someone that has left the company. I do have telephony experience with Legacy systems.

Any help is appreciated.

I cannot say this for sure because your post doesn’t really say what happens when you try to send an e-mail, but I have found in the last few years that so many ISP’s and network routers are parnoid of spammers so they block any e-mail that doesn’t fit into a very narrow range of allowables.

In the last year, I can no longer have my * box at home send me an e-mail memo because Comcast won’t unblock port 25 for me unless I pay them an extra fee. Further, there are many mailservers out there now which use a filter from some place I cannot recall now. Basically, if you’re blacklisted with this filter the mailservers are setup to simply drop your e-mail into hyperspace.

Just another way the World Wide Web has changed from those days of 1997 when 28.8 was fast and port 25 was always wide open.

I cannot say this for sure because your post doesn’t really say what happens when you try to send an e-mail, but I have found in the last few years that so many ISP’s and network routers are parnoid of spammers so they block any e-mail that doesn’t fit into a very narrow range of allowables.

In the last year, I can no longer have my * box at home send me an e-mail memo because Comcast won’t unblock port 25 for me unless I pay them an extra fee. Further, there are many mailservers out there now which use a filter from some place I cannot recall now. Basically, if you’re blacklisted with this filter the mailservers are setup to simply drop your e-mail into hyperspace.

Just another way the World Wide Web has changed from those days of 1997 when 28.8 was fast and port 25 was always wide open.

You might simply try setting up the sendmail application you use on your asterisk box to autenticate to the email server with an account that’s setup for it. Most email servers will send mail for any client that can authenticate with login credentials.

Depending on the sendmail process you use (for example, asterisknow uses postfix) you would do this different ways.

Here’s a page that describes how to do it with postfix.

postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick … rvers.html