Display MAC Address

Is there a way from the Asterisk CLI to get a list of MAC addresses of registered phones? These phones are halfway around the world on a network I do not have access to, but I do have access to the Asterisk server. We’re going to be transitioning these phones to auto provisioning, but I need to be able to build the config files before we can do that and I need the MAC addresses of each phone. So, in lieu of having someone do it manually at the site, I was hoping there was a way to do it from the Asterisk CLI.

Any help?

Thanks.

Unless they are on some sort of remotely bridged ethernet, no.

If they really appear as though they were on a local ethernet:

will tell you the MACs for at least recently used phones. (The form of the arp command may vary between operating systems.) If there is any router involved, you will not be able to get the MAC address of anything but the router.

You may well be able to make HTTP connections to the phones themselves, except that the remote firewalls should block this.

Thanks. I used the arp -a command previously, but did not get anything which means I can’t get them easily. Oh well. Was hoping.

Thanks! :smile:

It is possible that the phones volunteer their MAC addresses in the SIP messages, but there is no requirement to do so.

If the phones are registered to a local server then arp -a should return something,

What type of phones are they, Most will pass their mac address over, aastra for example have this as a config option.

Ian

The phones were halfway across the globe.

They are SNOM320 phones.

As everyone knows MAC addresses comes under Data link layer in the OSI model and I’m wondering how these layer 2 details are visible on a Application layer. :unamused:

Correct me if i’m wrong.

Vinod