Dell PowerEdge R210 with Asterisk

Hi All,

we are planning to get new Dell PowerEdge R210 rack mount server to use with asterisk 1.6 or 1.8 for the first time. We plan to use Digital E1 card with it and put it in vendor’s data center, but as it has [color=#800000]only one PCIe x16 G2 slot[/color], is there any issue with that? It also do not have [color=#800000]redundant power supply[/color].

Please guide me if I should use this server and if it will work fine with asterisk.

Thanks in advance.

Which E1 card were you going to use? How many E1s will be connected to the server? Will you be doing PSTN->VOIP calls? Will you be doing codec transcoding if you’re going to PSTN->VOIP calls?

You can get Digium PCIe E1 cards that will fit in the server slot, so that’s not an issue.

Redundant power supplies have no bearing on Asterisk. That is a business decision on your part whether or not you can deal with the downtime associated with a dead power supply.

the common problems that i found between the servers and the cards are the voltage compatibility and the dimension of the card: some server case accept only low profile card and not half size or full size card :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: . pay atention to this 2 parameter and you will be ok.
note: PCIe slot is not compatible with normal PCI card. only with PCIe card.

The R210 accepts half-length, full-height PCIe, which means any Digium PCIe E1 card is fine.

Thank you all. We have now decided to get R410 instead. :smile:

Why did you choose the 410?