Asterisk + Dell power edge R610 with E1 card

Hi Guys,

Iam going to buy Dell power edge R610 to run my asterisk call centre. Hope to use a E1 card (1TE420BF

Four (4) span digital T1/E1/J1/PRI PCI-Express x1 card and hardware echo cancellation). I was trying to find a hardware compatibility list for the E1 card couldnt find any, (it needs PCI 3.3v, PCI 5.0v). Are their any known issues with Dell poweredge series servers . Becuase the card is generating lot of Interrupts per second, and will it cause any isssues like call droping, sudden call termination, and also is it compatible with multi-core processors ? can it cause any issues,
Really appriciate your comments thoughts on this.
Cheers,
Tharanga

Howdy,

The Dell PowerEdge R610 has two available PCI-Express slots, either of which could be populated by the TE420.

We don’t provide a hardware compatibility list, because such a list wouldn’t be possible to generate. Our cards are used in innumerable servers without issue.

The card does need to be able to service its interrupts within a reasonable holdoff time, but the delays that it’s capable of dealing with are beyond the scope of what’s good practice for real-time telephony, anyway. If you’ve got a driver set for your HDD, or something else, that causes it to block interrupts for periods of 1second or something absurd like that, then it’s broken, and it needs to be fixed - you can’t do real-time telephony 1second at a time - note that this isn’t a likely scenario, anyway.

There are no specific issue with using the products on multi-core or multi-processor machines.

Cheers.

Thanks for the information. How about RAID 5 ? will it cause any issues . iam thinking to use RAID 5 on my R610. please let me know.
thanks,
Tharanga

[quote=“malcolmd”]Howdy,

The Dell PowerEdge R610 has two available PCI-Express slots, either of which could be populated by the TE420.

We don’t provide a hardware compatibility list, because such a list wouldn’t be possible to generate. Our cards are used in innumerable servers without issue.

The card does need to be able to service its interrupts within a reasonable holdoff time, but the delays that it’s capable of dealing with are beyond the scope of what’s good practice for real-time telephony, anyway. If you’ve got a driver set for your HDD, or something else, that causes it to block interrupts for periods of 1second or something absurd like that, then it’s broken, and it needs to be fixed - you can’t do real-time telephony 1second at a time - note that this isn’t a likely scenario, anyway.

There are no specific issue with using the products on multi-core or multi-processor machines.

Cheers.[/quote]

There’s nothing inherent about RAID 5 that should or would cause a problem.