Dead Air

Sorry guys if this is in the wrong part of the forum, but i am tearing my hair out figuring this out.

Here’s the scenario:

We have implemented an Asterisk Predictive Dialer/Manual Calls. This resides on a Dell Dual Xeon 2.8 Ghz w\ 4 Gigs of RAM and 2 80 Gig SATA drives in a RAID 1 configuration. I have installed Fedora Core 3 with the 2.6 (with needed modifications) kernel. This dialer resides on a managed switch which I prioritized the IP Address of the server and the necessary UDP Protocols. The clients are all using Windows XP Pro with min 512 MB RAM and Celeron 2.8’s. The software we use has been custom built and has an intergrated softphone. As of now the dialer is working great except for this:

Every so often an agent will get either dead air, or a disconnected number. We have bad numbers being filtered out, but possibly some are getting through (?). When an agent gets one of these, they seem to get it for anywhere between 5 - 30 mins in a row. If they move to another pc, it stops, so I know it is not the agents id.

I am wondering if asterisk could get stuck on a call like this and have these only being routed to the one IP of the PC. Sometimes it is 2 reps.

I would really like it if someone had this problem b4 or if someone knew why this would be happening. I know it is not the carrier, because we recently switched and same thing. Maybe it is a setting I missed, or selected, aaaaaahhh!! I am going to check again.

Thanks to all who helps shade light on this.

Kevin

There is not enough information in this post in order to assess what the issue could be, unless someone just happens to have experienced the same thing. A few things:

• What predictive dialer are you using?
  • What are you using on the Windows machines to deliver the voice?
  • What codecs are in place?
  • What signaling are you using with your VoIP provider (SIP/IAX2)?
  • Are you doing VoIP only or do you have TDM cards as well?
  • Are you doing only call progress detection without voicemail/fax detection?
  • How many agents on the system?
  • Are these issues happening at peak dial rates with peak agents or at anytime?
  • What is the configuration?
  • What is in the log files (/var/log/asterisk) when these problems are being experienced?

I could go on, but you get the idea that much more detail would be required. Let us know if you have made any progress thus far.

Ok, give me a bit and I will collect as much info as possible for you. I will see if the problem happens again today and if so, I will document everything that happens. Thanks.

Kevin