Connecting to Asterisk with a Soft Phone

Hello everyone!!!
Well I would just like to say that from what I have seen and hurd Asterisk is an amazing piece of software. Well with that said I thought I would test some stuff out before I invest in a Sipura 3000. So what I am trying to do is connect Asterisk with one of my Windows Machine’s running DIAX phone software. When you dial a number the Asterisk box plays back tt-monkeys. So I have my sip.conf set up like this:
[sipura1]
type=friend
context=phone1
secret=123456
host=192.168.1.122
dtmfmode=rfc2833

The Extensions conf file looks like this:
[phone1]
exten => _X.,1,Answer
exten => _X.,2,Wait(2)
exten => _X.,3,Playback(tt-monkeys)
exten => _X.,4,Hangup

My windows Machine is at the ip address of 192.168.1.122. So in DIAX I have the Registration form filed in as follows:
Server: 192.168.1.88

I have been fooling around with all possible setting but just cant get it to work. When I try to connect on the laptop the linux terminal does not show any activity. Everytime I change some settings on the sip.conf I use the command restart now to reload everything. What user name should I use for the above configuration? Should I write in something like username=sipura1?
Thanks,
DavidPassword:123456
Context: "left blank"
Register un checker,
username: sipura1

I have been fooling around with all possible setting but just cant get it to work. When I try to connect on the laptop the linux terminal does not show any activity. Everytime I change some settings on the sip.conf I use the command restart now to reload everything. What user name should I use for the above configuration? Should I write in something like username=sipura1? Does anyone else recommend a better telephone software?
Thanks,
David

Firstly, diax is an iax2 client - not a sip client - so there’s no point trying to configure it in sip.conf!

It doesn’t matter what username you use, so long as you configure the same thing in both in the phone and in iax.conf. And it’s probably a better idea to configure a specific extension number to do the testing with - not just try and get any random number to do it, as pattern matching like that can be confusing sometimes.

You need to do some reading…

You’ll find almost everything you need to know at

voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk

and information about configuring specific softphones with Asterisk at

voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+phones

• although diax isn’t one of the phones you’ll find there.

And to learn all the basic stuff you need to know to get started with Asterisk, read this book:

voip-info.org/wiki/view/Aste … +Telephony

Tutorials on how to link several types of phones to asterisk can be found here:

asteriskguru.com/tutorials/a … phone.html
asteriskguru.com/tutorials/c … phone.html
asteriskguru.com/tutorials/a … phone.html

Thanks so much!!! I tried X-lite and found activity on the terminal. I then used my old D-link Att Call Vantage TA, converted it to a sip unit and got it working. I will check the rest of that stuff out later.
Thanks,
David