Complete newb

Hi all,

Complete newb here to both Asterisk and Linux for that matter. I have been tasked with setting up an automated phone system for my company (being fed to the sharks, really) and I think Asterisk should be an ideal part of the solution.

Here are the basic requirements:

1. Regular users dial in and enter a 4 or 5 digit code to hear a pre-recorded msg.
  2. Special users (admins, whatever) call in and are able to update/create/delete messages. When they create a new message a 4 or 5 digit code is assigned to that message, and that will be the number regular users dial to hear it.

I’m pretty sure that Asterisk can handle these tasks. So, specifically my 2 questions are:

1. Is there any documentation for a complete linux/asterisk/telecom newb that will help here (I have read the sticky on documentation… what I’m referring to here is documentation specific to the requirements I have outlined. A bit of longshot, I know, but I’m desperate)?
  2. In terms of traffic, what kind of numbers are we talking when dealing with asterisk (calls per hour, etc)?

Thanks much for any help!

I’m sure Asterisk could do what you need to do. However, if you’re not an experienced linux system administrator, you’ve got no chance of getting up to speed on both linux and Asterisk anything like quckly - not if you’re going to be setting up and administering a production system.

You need a consultant!

Maybe he is a fast learner?

Have a look here on the Asterisk/Telecoms bit:

voip-info.org/wiki/view/Aste … +Telephony

And of course Linux books abound from O’Rielly.