Codecs problem

hi,
Thanks for your replay.
If the caller use G729 codecs for a call ,the mp3player or musiconhold command will not work because of the codecs.It seems that they cant support G729.How to solve the problem if the caller must use G729? Thanks.

G729 codec requires a license. However, Asterisk will support it in pass through mode without one. That means that if both caller and callee support G729, Asterisk will just pass the 729 data through to the other side without looking at it. However, for asterisk to encode, decode or generate G729 audio data requires a license, which you can buy from digium for about $10/channel.

In some countries the G729 patent does not apply, so you can use an educational version of the codec that does not have a channel limit and is free. There was a link on voip-info.org a while ago. Note that in the USA it is illegal to use this codec for anything other than testing or educational use. If you live in the USA you must purchase the codec from Digium.

thanks for your reply.
You mean that if i buy the g729 lience i can use the setmusic ,meeteme ,playback and etc cmd.Is that so?
10$/channel means 10$ for an active channel. If there a 100 caller at the same time,I must buy 100*10 lience .Is that so? Thanks.

Hello,
We are not based in USA, where can i download the educational version of g729 codec and instructons to use the same.

Regards

Vijay Gandhi

You can have a try on G.729 codec from www.imtelephone.com . It is totally free for evaluation version and it is very easy to use.

Hello,
I need to use it for commercial purpose, but not in USA, whats the limitation of evaluation version (is it timebound), moreover on the above mentioned site (imtelephone.com/), i am not able to download the g729 codec, it is downloading the corrupted zip file, any other location to download this codec, and please clarify about the limitations of this evaluation version.

Regards

Vijay Gandhi