Questions regarding g729 codec and licensing

I have some questions about the g729 code:

1. Is it installed by default when I apt-get install asterisk? (I am assuming the answer is “No”)

2. I read this: store.digium.com/productview.php … =G729CODEC and came to the conclusion that I will have to pay $8.00-$10.00 per concurrent call to properly license my code? Is that right? I’m not sure how many channels I have through my voip provider. Are available channels usually dynamic (meaning, if I place 20 concurrent calls, I am using 20 channels…or if I place 5 concurrent calls, I’m using 5…like a “growing” channels system?)? Or, do voip providers usually say “You have 10 channels. You cannot place more than 10 concurrent calls”?

3. Is it difficult to install the codec?

4. How can you tell if the codec is actually compressing the voice data as it should?

If I should have posted this elsewhere, please advise.

1. Is it installed by default when I apt-get install asterisk? (I am assuming the answer is “No”)

Your right No it isnt

1. I read this: store.digium.com/productview.php … =G729CODEC and came to the conclusion that I will have to pay $8.00-$10.00 per concurrent call to properly license my code? Is that right? I’m not sure how many channels I have through my voip provider. Are available channels usually dynamic (meaning, if I place 20 concurrent calls, I am using 20 channels…or if I place 5 concurrent calls, I’m using 5…like a “growing” channels system?)? Or, do voip providers usually say “You have 10 channels. You cannot place more than 10 concurrent calls”?

It depends on the supplier all are different. as to licencing the codec is used when a call is transcoded to or from g729 not for each call . so for example if you didnt have transcode via slin set and rou were recording a call that would take 2 licences.

1. Is it difficult to install the codec?

No

1. How can you tell if the codec is actually compressing the voice data as it should?

Why shouldnt it, its a codec thats its job, no point worrying about something you have no control over, as to checking if teh codec is being used you chan check how many licences are being used and what codecs are in use from teh cli

Ian