Closing Asterisk Console causes system freeze

Can anyone confirm that closing a CLI console window causes a linux system lockup / freeze? This is happening to me, and I am not sure whether this is a n Asterisk issue or a linux/kde issue. Of note, Asterisk CLI (asterisk -r -vvv) is the only application that does this for me.

Thanks

JG

Did you exit from CLI or close the actual KDE window without exiting?

No, I do not exit from CLI. I simply try to close the KDE window without exiting CLI, and the system completely freezes requiring a hardware reset. This behavior is distinctly different from any/every other application I have run as root user in a KDE konsole shell.

Thanks for your help with this.

Joel Goldwein

i don’t have any advice for this, just wondering whether this is running an Asterisk console on the Asterisk server ??

Yes, but whether I run a separate / concurrent console on the the asterisk server or not, the behavior persists.

A couple of other notes:

1. If I run a remote ssh session, go to root and run Asterisk -r -vvv, then close that without exiting CLI the system (asterisk server) freezes.
  2. If I attempt to reboot the asterisk server while the konsole is running, the server freezes.

JG

Several users noticed that a remote Asterisk console runs up 100% of CPU if the TTY disconnects. If you escape into a shell from within the console, and disconnect, you are almost guaranteed to have this condition. The process runs away and one must kill the process to bring system back.

I suspect that killing a window has the same effect as disconnecting TTY and the process does not automatically die. Whereas in text mode the system does not hang, complications could arise when X is also running.

Did you escape into a shell during the console session?

[quote=“valley”]Several users noticed that a remote Asterisk console runs up 100% of CPU if the TTY disconnects. If you escape into a shell from within the console, and disconnect, you are almost guaranteed to have this condition. The process runs away and one must kill the process to bring system back.

I suspect that killing a window has the same effect as disconnecting TTY and the process does not automatically die. Whereas in text mode the system does not hang, complications could arise when X is also running.
Did you escape into a shell during the console session?[/quote]

I can start a remote ssh shell, get to root, start asterisk (“asterisk r -vvv”), and then exit asterisk back to the shell without a problem. It is only when I try to close the ssh window (I use putty) while CLI is running in it, or when I close a local console with CLI running in it that the problem happens.

By the way, can you confirm that this happens on your system?

Yes, it does - except I don’t run X, and system doesn’t freeze. If I start a remote console, use ! to escape into a shell (this is a shell spawn by Asterisk), and lose the TTY, this remote console lives on and runs wild. I can’t say definitely but I remember seeing wild Asterisk even without escaping into a shell. See this recent thread forums.digium.com/viewtopic.php?t=14478