Cisco 7940g/7960g phones

I’ve been running Asterisk with the Cisco 7940g/7960g phones for several months now without any major problems.

However, I was curious if it was possible to change the functions of the “soft buttons” on these phones. For instance, I would like to create a “soft button” for call parking, and would like to move hold to the first “page” of options.

Is this possible and if so can you steer me in the right direction? I would assume some manipulation can be done since they are referred to as “soft keys” as opposed to “hard”.

Thanks in advance.

Hello I have just purchased the cisco 7960 sip phone and would like to know how you got yours configured because when I connect mine to the network it tries to configure vlan and some other stuff but ends up in “invalid application”. It does not displau anything on screen to configure it and even thought I have pushed every single button to no effect and since cisco would rather you buy their voip routers and servers to use with it they would not assist in configuring it with asterisk. I would to know how and what you configured. I wish I could be of help to your question.
Thank you.

Are you using Asterisk@Home? If so, go here for instructions on how to configure the Cisco phones:

voip-info.org/wiki/view/Aste … co79607940

Does anyone have any ideas about the soft buttons?

Thanx for your response. I’ve seen and tried those instructions already but the phone does not respond to any key entry such as the **# mentioned and there are no options displayed on the screen to do anything else so I don’t know what else to do to configure this thing. Perhaps the phone is defective. What is supposed to show up on the screen?

First off what version of the firmware have you installed?
Cisco 7960s require a specific firmware upgrade path and if you skip a major revision you could be in trouble. For example you are supposed to be at 7-04 before jumping to 8-03. The invalid application sounds like the Univeral Application Loader software in the phone can’t load the Cisco phone application. I would suggest you read and follow the cisco instruction manual on manually getting the firmware on the phone using Cisco’s guide.

Firmware is here cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild … -phone7960
Documentation is here cisco.com/application/pdf/en … 1d1972.pdf

Read the documentation ‘maintain and operate guide’ on how to upgrade the cisco SIP firmware.

cameron.

I second: What about the soft buttons? If you have a questions about 7960s start a new thread instead of hijacking this one.

While we’re at it, is there a way to display the date and time on the sip firmware like on the sccp firmware with ccm and also a “clear” softkey on the directory section like in the sccp firmware??

:smile:

[quote=“Helix26404”]I’ve been running Asterisk with the Cisco 7940g/7960g phones for several months now without any major problems.

However, I was curious if it was possible to change the functions of the “soft buttons” on these phones.
[/quote]

It looked to me as if the entire thread pertained to 7960 softkeys and the possibility to add to the default keysets. Did I miss something?

Surely someone here knows SOMETHING about this? :smile:

I too have been looking for options to modify softkeys. In my case, users need to transfer a lot of calls and it is difficult for them to use the “more” softkey to get to transfer on the next screen. I’m pretty familiar with the standard admin options and nothing in the docs talks about this. I have a question out to one the phone product managers on this issue, will report back when I find out (probably can’t modify the softkeys in callflow).

Seems like Polycom 601 supports this though :smile:

I heard that you couldn’t change them, but when I heard this, I thought, why call them “softkeys” if they couldn’t be changed??

Anyway, there’s GOT to be a way within the firmware to change these, or at least re-order them so you don’t have to hit “more” to get to some of the basic keys.