Check Voicemail Remotely

This seems like an easy task, and I’m probably just not using the right terms in my searches. However, so far I’m coming up empty-handed.

What is the easiest way to check voicemail remotely when all I have is a telephone (no way to get or play .wav files)? I have a phone that can receive e-mails so I know when I have a voicemail. Now, how can I check that voicemail without using a SIP phone?

(Links to tutorials would be great)

Thanks.

if you have voip or other phone service hooked up to your * box, make an extension for VoiceMailMain(@yourcontext) and then dial that…

I have voip connected to it. Could you provide more information about the extension I need to create?

First asterisk has to answer and be listening for you to dial something. IE, the call has to be in Background, WaitExten, or something like it (app currently on the channel) for it to be listening…

then put
exten => whatever,1,VoiceMailMain(@context)
in that incoming context. replace whatever with any code or number(s) and @context with @yourvoicemailcontext.

Hope that helps!

So, is there no easy way to do this in something like FreePBX? I have to edit the .conf files directly?

Sorry,

I don’t think there is an easy way to resolve your problem. Editing the extensions_custom.conf file is probably going to be the easiest way to go.

Brad

When you call your number, are you presented with an IVR?

If you use Asterisk @Home or Trixbox you can also create this in extensions_custom.conf

[custom-login]
exten => s,1,VoiceMailMain(@default)

Then in digital receptionist add a key (I personally use 9) with the following custom app configuration.

custom-login,s,1

It works well and gives a one touch to voicemail login.

Have you set up a special extension number for voicemail that the users can dial to get their respective vm messages?
If not, then you need to do that first. See Ironhelix’s suggestion here.
Next, are you set up so that your * box can handle incoming pstn calls? I mean, if someone calls from pstn, does your * get the call and provide voicemail if no one answers?
If you haven’t done that, then you need to do that first.
But,
Assuming that you have done all that and have gotten this far, all you need to do add the ‘a’ extension in extension.conf as follows:

exten => a,1,VoicemailMain                   ; Press '*' during vm greeting to access vm remotely
exten => a,n,Hangup()

Just press ‘*’ during vm greeting to get access to your mailbox remotely. * will ask for your extension and passwd.
This works for calls made from external pstn line, or from internal extensions as well.
NOTE that there is no need for an IVR here.

[quote=“kmkittre”]This seems like an easy task, and I’m probably just not using the right terms in my searches. However, so far I’m coming up empty-handed.

What is the easiest way to check voicemail remotely when all I have is a telephone (no way to get or play .wav files)? I have a phone that can receive e-mails so I know when I have a voicemail. Now, how can I check that voicemail without using a SIP phone?

(Links to tutorials would be great)

Thanks.[/quote]

I just set up DISA with my own password.
I call in, hear my IVR, type in an option, enter my password, and then get dialtone.
With that you are virtually making a call from within the LAN of your asterisk server.

well, i have done these things i believe correctly. i can call in and the voicemail activates. and i can leave a message. i can tehn check the message from the ip phone no problem. but i cant call the ip phone number and hit “*” and get my password prompt. i have the a extension in place… and ill post that file… but i think i am doing something wrong with the extensions.conf file, casue i dont think it is listening.

EXTENSIONS.CONF

[general]
static=yes
writeprotect=no
;
[globals]

[default]
[local-exchange]

;Local Echange (Don’t use a line if you don’t need it!)
exten => 5294381,1,Dial(SIP/)
exten => 5294382,1,Dial(SIP/photo)

; Outgoing Call Routing
[529-4381-out]
exten => _X!,1,Dial(Zap/1/${EXTEN})

[529-4382-out]
exten => 5294382,1,VoiceMailMain(3262)
exten => _X!,1,Dial(Zap/2/${EXTEN})

; Incoming Call Routing
[529-4381-in]
exten => s,1,Dial(SIP/)
exten => s,2,Hangup

[529-4382-in]
exten => s,1,Dial(SIP/photo,5)
exten => s,2, Answer()
exten => s,3,Voicemail(3262)
exten => a,4,VoiceMailMain(3262)
exten => s,5,Hangup

and of course there are the mailbox listings in the voicemail.conf file and sip.conf.