Can't build chan_dahdi at v 1.8.2.2

I had Asterisk 1.8.1.1 working. I have no DAHDI hardware and am using dahdi_dummy (which so far as I can see is an alias for dahdi) to allow Meetme conferencing to work.

My version of DAHDI is 2.4.0.

I decided to upgrade to 1.8.2.2. I built 1.8.2.2 and installed it.

When I try to go into a Meetme conference, the console reports:

== Parsing ‘/etc/asterisk/meetme.conf’: == Found
[Jan 21 22:02:02] WARNING[16968]: channel.c:5414 ast_request: No channel type registered for ‘DAHDI’
– Created MeetMe conference 1023 for conference ‘1234’
[Jan 21 22:02:02] WARNING[16968]: app_meetme.c:4033 find_conf: No DAHDI channel available for conference, user introduction disabled (is chan_dahdi loaded?)

On investigation, I find that I don’t have a chan_dahdi.so module.

Have the dependencies of chan_dahdi changed between 1.8.1.1 and 1.8.2.2?

At 1.8.1.1, for chan_dahdi menuselect shows me
DAHDI Telephony
Depends on: dahdi(E), tonezone(E)
Can use: res_smdi(M), pri(E), ss7(E), openr2(E)

At 1.8.2.2, for chan_dahdi menuselect shows me XXX and
DAHDI Telephony
Depends on: dahdi(E), tonezone(E), res_smdi(M), pri(E),ss7(E),

res_smdi is being built (I think).

I’ve downloaded and built libpri and libss7, but I still get XXX for chan_dahdi in menuselect.

What am I missing?

dahdi_dummy is not an alias for dahdi. Dahdi is a generic telephony hardware driver, which has modules for each specific piece of hardware. dahdi_dummy is a specific driver which has no hardware, but uses system resources to provide timing that would normally come from the hardware.

dahdi 2.4.0 normally no longer requires dahdi_dummy, as the core part of dahdi now provides fall back timing.

This may be related to this issue: issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=18648

On my system /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-485/modules.alias contains
alias dahdi_dummy dahdi

I can’t say what put that there, I’m reasonably sure I didn’t do it manually.

[quote=“david55”]Dahdi is a generic telephony hardware driver, which has modules for each specific piece of hardware. dahdi_dummy is a specific driver which has no hardware, but uses system resources to provide timing that would normally come from the hardware.

dahdi 2.4.0 normally no longer requires dahdi_dummy, as the core part of dahdi now provides fall back timing.

This may be related to this issue: issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=18648[/quote]

That looks to be exactly the issue I am seeing.