Can I put my own text in voicemail?

Is there a possibility to cut a standard voicemail text “The number is unavailable. Leave your message…” and put another one?

If you have a seperate wav or gsm file you can play it before you send the person to voicemail using the Background(filename) command, after playing the message send the person to voicemail using the Voicemail command with the ‘s’ flag which will skip the standard message. Something like this:

exten => 1000,1,Answer
exten => 1000,2,Dial(SIP/1000,15)
exten => 1000,3,Background(your-message)
exten => 1000,4,Voicemail(s1000)

exten => 1000,103,Background(your-message)
exten => 1000,104,Voicemail(s1000)

In this example the phone would ring for 15 seconds and if there is no answer play your message then send the person to voicemail. Also if the dial command returns a busy it will go to priority N + 101 (which would be 103) and do the same thing.

All the voicemail prompts and menus are in gsm format sound files in

/var/lib/asterisk/sounds

(the filenames are prefixed by “vm-”).

You should be able to create your own files with a suitable audio editor (mhwaveedit is a nice, small and very handy one), convert them to gsm format - if your editor can’t save them as that - using sox or something similar, and replace the supplied files with them.

However, i did try and take this approach to creating voicemail greeting messages (to get the best available sound quality) without success. I’m not sure why that was as i haven’t got round to following it up and working out what i did wrong.