Can i do this with Asterisk?

Hi.

We have a plant where the operators need telephone alarms. This means when some thing goes wrong on the factory the operator should recieve a call, playing a message like: “Beer tank empty, fill it now”.

Right now all the current alarms from the system is in a microsoft access table, can this be uses to trigger the voice alarmes?

The system should be able to call 20 operators and deliver about 200 voice messages.

What hardware can do this? and can Asterisk handle this?

Hope any one can help.
Thanks.

Asterisk can be used to make a system that has the features you want.

Asterisk will set up the calls and play the soundfiles.

I would use AGI to connect the external script for detecting the alarms and passing which operator should be called. You can use almost every languague to connect to AGI. So, you probably could use your access-file. Although I would recommend to put your soundfiles on filesystem of the asterisk server.

The hardware: depends on the amount of concurrent calls. I guess max 20, then all operators would get a phonecall the same time. Any normal computer can handle this.

[quote=“jangermann”]Hi.

We have a plant where the operators need telephone alarms. This means when some thing goes wrong on the factory the operator should recieve a call, playing a message like: “Beer tank empty, fill it now”.

Right now all the current alarms from the system is in a microsoft access table, can this be uses to trigger the voice alarmes?

The system should be able to call 20 operators and deliver about 200 voice messages.
[/quote]

Should not be hard to do. How do you get alarm events out of your production system and into Asterisk?
If you have very few alarms (as I hope you have!!!), you might use the free version of our WombatDialer plus some free TTS system and it should be very trivial.

Even old hardware can do this task. Pentium 4 at 3GHz can handle up to 30 simultaneous calls.
The biggest problem is to connect alarms and Asterisk. One way is to write alarms in any kind of database, and some script to check for new records, and generate call files, to initiate calls.
Better is if it is possible to get alarms directly from server.
There are many free text to speech (TTS) applications, and you can generate any prompts, which can be played to callee. Asterisk can send also messages to SIP phones which support messaging.

Absolutely Asterisk can do this. One way to accomplish this would be to write an interface to AMI, then use Originate commands where upon pickup you do a Playback(…) on the soundfile you want. You can manage pickup by adding a macro to the third argument of Dial(…).