AsteriskNOW - Key Issues Raise Serious Doubts

Ok, I have been reading the posts here about AsteriskNOW and have observed the unfortunate disconnect between the newbies (like me) and the pros who are trying to be helpful. The two major issues with AsteriskNOW are the adding of a VOIP provider and determining the root password. I started writing this as an attempt to shed some light on these two issues but the more I thought about the situation the more it quickly descended into a rant. I will still offer it up to the masses for their review and comment.

#1. Adding a Service Provider:
Yes, it appears that with AsteriskNOW beta (as of this writing) you cannot add a VOIP service provider via the GUI. Let’s face it, this is a problem, not a bug. As I personally do not have a FXO/S card, I have no knowledge of whether or not you can configure Digium “products” via the GUI. If you can, then one cannot overlook the fact that Digium’s $$ come from selling hardware which – oh, look – can be configured with the GUI. This is the kind of nonsense that (correctly) drives FOSS people nuts, and developers away from projects. But don’t get me wrong, I’ve long thought that Digium was nuts for giving Asterisk away. So maybe this is just the first step away from the GPL and toward Digium’s bottom line. That said however, if AsteriskNOW is supposed to continue down the open source road then I feel slighted by this. If this is supposed to be a tiered offering then Digium should come out and say so.

#2. Root Password:
Yes, during the installation the password created is for a user called admin, not root. Yes, you can login as admin and attempt to su or sudo but it asks for the root password and it is unknown. Yes, newbies like myself have looked through the limited AsteriskNOW documentation and have not been able to find the root password. (A similar problem exists with the rPath configuration manager but that’s a lessor problem and a different post.) Again, this root password thing is a problem and not a bug. Why? Because I know enough to manually edit the .conf files and setup my VOIP service provider (like I did on my v1.2 installation) but I cannot do so b/c when I go to save the files it turns out I don’t have permission. i.e. In order to manual edit the .conf files I must have root access, which appears to be hidden from me by the installation.

I love Asterisk and when I found out that AsteriskNOW was released I was stoked. But first I had a series of problems downloading and burning the ISOs – checksums would be helpful (that’s a bug) – that prevented installation. Then I realize I can’t add a VOIP trunk. I’m not rich (who is?) so I can’t afford to have a $300 FXO/FXS card laying around for playing. Then I realize that I can’t edit the .conf files myself. And my conclusion is that while I understand this is beta, I can’t create a decent test box without creating trunks. The system as presented is worthless to me & I want my 4 hours and 3 CDR’s back.

About a year ago I chose a raw Asterisk installation over Asterisk@Home b/c I hated the way AMP worked. Much has changed. It’s AsteriskNOW vs. FreePBX 2.0. I think the first one out of beta wins and right now FreePBX has a healthy lead. I see Trixbox with FreePBX 2.0 becoming the student who will have bested the master.

cool first post :smiley:

i’ll admit to being a bit baffled by AsteriskNOW. i’m only just downloading the ISO to throw into a VM, but i can’t really work out what Digium are trying to acheive. i’ve always liked the separation between Asterisk and any GUI, and products like AMP, FreePBX and the like have shown that this setup can work.

they’ll get it sorted i’m sure, but you can already see that despite being tagged as “beta”, users want it to work now and work well. for now, i’ll continue with my Realtime Static setup, a home-grown partial GUI and WinSCP.

Im not familiar with asteriskNOW , to be honest i done even know what it is, however being a linux sistem if you can get to the grub spash screen you can boot in single mode and reset the root passwd.

sudo su and the password you create will allow you to edit files

The easiest way I have found to get root access is from the AsteriskNOW console Menu. Select the second option “console”, then press Alt-F9 to get to the *CLI> prompt. From there type ! and hit enter. Voila, root access.

Now you can change passwords, modify .conf files, format the drive, whatever.

It is all in beta and of course the first gui/install CD Digium has done so of course there are going to things wrong with it. As baconbuttie said, people expect it work perfectly right now even though it’s in beta. Asterisk will of course always be available seperately. Now people just will have an option to have an install disk with a gui if they want from Digium. Also AsteriskNow I don’t think was even announced, just linked from some place and it’s gotten a good bit of attention.

imfbsbn: whats wrong with being able to configure hardware through a gui?

The sudo password is the same as your administrator password. If not, go through the system config and the rpath gui will allow you to set the password.

Admin is in wheel, and admins password is the one you set during boot/install.

To get to a login prompt at the console press: ALT+F2

sudo su will not work, as su will still ask for the root password.

The root password is set to “x” which will never match a password hash.

The solution: login as admin, then: sudo passwd root

Enjoy.

(How am I doing for my first post? :wink: )

THere is a saying- never blame on conspiracy that which can be explained by incompetence.
It’s usually attributed to government works, and Digium is FAR from incompetent, but it applies here- if you can’t yet configure VoIP providers from the GUI, this is a missing feature, not an intentional effort by Digium to make you buy TDM cards.
Remember, AsteriskNOW and to an extent Asterisk itself are not so much products being released to market as they are projects under continual development. Some rough edges are to be expected.

It’s working on my build AFAIK.

I think that asteriskNOW gui is an effort that needs time.
I don’t know professional asterisk gui, but I think that it’s not the same one, is it?
I like light http, although it’s not working with webmin.
I like also the RPath flavor for it’s conary updates.