Asterisk virtual machine

Hi all…

when moving asterisk Vm from one hypervisor to another, what are the features i have to check to have less problem as possible ?

I have a customer that did it without consult me and now we have to asterisk box that didn’t start at all…even recompiling…due to “invalid instruction”…

I have heard about CPU flags to adjust when reconfiguring…but i have no precedent experience…

Thanks

About what VM are we talking? Was Asterisk compiled from sources? Which architecture?

If it’s qemu/kvm and x86_64 the usual sources compile fine out of the box for years. If it is an older version of qemu/kvm on one of these NAS boxes, you might be out of luck and you have to find out which cpu feature is missing (though I am not sure if that applies to Asterisk, but I ran into such a problem with MongoDB).

Asterisk builds with processor specific optimizations by default. Depending on VM environment, this can result in failure to run if the VM is moved elsewhere. This can be disabled when building Asterisk by going into menuselect and disabling “BUILD_NATIVE” under the “Compiler Flags” section.

Hi…
Asterisk from sources…x86 platform…migrating to vmware…

Thanks…

I have to make this procedure on the original vm prior to move or can i launch it even after moving ?

It requires rebuilding Asterisk, it doesn’t matter where it is done.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.