Asterisk and its server architecture

Colleagues, please tell me what aspects of the server hardware for Asterisk I need to pay attention to.

In my case, the server serves about ten queues, in which there can be 100-150 calls at the same time. In the queues registered several tens agents. Operation system is FreeBSD 12.2 amd64.

What aspects of server configuration are most critical to providing the required computing power?
The number of cores and pipelines of the processor, its clock frequency, the amount of RAM?

Maybe there is some kind of publication on this topic or a ready-made calculator?

Thanks in advance,
Ogogon.

The advice for sizing questions always comes down to do your own benchmarks for your specific usages. Generally the most you will get here is a statement about people’s experience with a specific configuration, rather than general sizing rules.

However, if you are pushing the limits, which may not be the case, if you are handling a total of 150 calls, and you are using low cost codecs, but might be the case if you mean 150 calls in each of ten queues., you should use one of the supported Linux platforms, not FreeBSD, as there is little or no FreeBSD knowledge on these forums.

You need sufficient memory. CPU load is very dependent on specifics of your requirements. Some parts of Asterisk are essentially single threaded, so there can be limits on the benefits of adding extra cores, but that will depend on exact details of usage, and I don’t think there is a lot of knowledge to allow it be approached other than by bench marking.

Not sure if this is helpful but I have used the SIPp utility in the past for testing of hardware and gauging traffic/usage.

http://sipp.sourceforge.net/index.html

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.