Asterisk and GoIP GSM Gateway

Hello everybody,
I’m new to asterisk and I’m getting very passionate about this technology. I’m trying my hand at building a PBX with Asterisk and GoIP GSM Gateway. I have connected the machine to the PBX and the incoming calls are working. The extensions work between them, the only thing I can’t configure is the outgoing calls. Can any of you explain to me the concept of how an extension, for example 801, calls an external mobile number via the GoIP?

I thank you in advance

You mean phone, not extension.

The phone calls an extension, that represents all outgoing destinations through the GoIP, and Dial’s the GoIP in the same way as it would dial an ITSP trunk, stripping any routing digits, in the normal way.

This is an example, assuming North American numbers and 9 as a routing digit. Substitute the trunk name with that for the GoIP:

exten => _9NXXNXXXXXX,1,Dial(PJSIP/${EXTEN:1}@mytrunk)

See Dialing PJSIP Channels - Asterisk Project - Asterisk Project Wiki from which this example was taken.

Going with GSM in North America is a bad idea. Specially in the US. GSM goes away by the end of the year.

I don’t think we know where the OP is. I mentioned North America because the example, in the Asterisk documentation, assumes NANP. (I’m in the UK, myself, but I was answering on the basis that the device is a SIP gateway, not that it was specifically a GSM one.)

It really doesn’t matter. The GSM/CDMA shutdown is a global effort. While some are lagging behind many of the majors are shutting it down to open the spectrum up more for 4G/5G.

GSM is a tech that is fading out and since this thread is specifically about a GSM gateway, advising to not depend on one anymore is good advice.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.