Asterisk 1.8 installation nightmare

I have a brand new CentOS 5.4 installation and I have attempted to install Asterisk 1.8.2.2 from source.

First off, where the heck are the addons? I know I have heard some people say there are no addons because 1.8 has it all built-in, but if that is true, how come make menuselect has everything 'XXX’d out? Specifically, the ODBC voicemail and ODBC CDR is unavailable. I already have ODBC up, running, and tested before I even ran configure.

So maybe menuselect is just lagging behind and all that stuff is really in it… My 1.6 installation uses ODBC voicemail, realtime SIP, and ODBC CDR. All of that is missing in 1.8 with seemingly no way to even install it.

Setting that aside, every command I use is missing in Asterisk 1.8 now.

iax2 *, sip *, voicemail *, etc. All of these commands are gone and I have spent the better part of an hour attempting to find alternatives to them with no luck. I can’t even begin to test out ODBC connectivity when the commands are missing.

Is this a normal 1.8 installation? The make did not have any complaints at all when doing the install.

The addons are right there built-in.
menuselect has everything 'XXX’d because you missing dependancy packages. Read the installation pdf manual in the tar file dude.

What makes you think I didn’t?

It says nothing about the XXX’d out selections that you did not say, or that I did not already find in other forums. If it is built-in, then it should be removed from menuselect since it is meaningless to put it there and would throw off people from 1.4 or 1.6.

Additionally, it does not explain why all the commands are missing, or why Asterisk is not even a service at this point. I can get a 1.6 up and running in 20 minutes on a fresh CentOS 5.4 installation, yet I have been messing around with 1.8 now for 24 hours with no success.

My questions are valid and not answered by the documentation, which has historically, been a joke.

As far as the missing commands, it seems like they are tied to modules.

Example, dahdi didnt install properly, so it says command not found when envoking “dahdi show span”

try running this through the command line:

yum -y install gcc gcc-c++ kernel-devel bison openssl-devel libtermcap-devel ncurses-devel doxygen curl-devel newt-devel mlocate lynx tar wget nmap bzip2 mod_ssl crontabs vixie-cron speex speex-devel unixODBC unixODBC-devel libtool-ltdl libtool-ltdl-devel mysql-connector-odbc mysql mysql-devel mysql-server php-mysql php-mbstring php-mcrypt flex screen libxml2 libxml2-devel libtiff libtiff-devel gmime gmime-devel net-snmp-utils net-snmp-devel neon libxml2 openssl openssl-devel gnutls-devel gnutls-utils

then:
./configure
make clean
make
make install

etc

run configure with the --with-dahdi option, e.g.:

Then make, make install and you’re all set.