Asterisk 1.6 playing .wav files as .gsm

Hi,

I am using asterisk 1.6.0.17. I loaded a wav file into the system but when i play the file it is played as a gsm. I notice a bit of quality is lost. What i tried to go is unload the format_gsm.so and format_wav_gsm.so from Asterisk. When i unload these the file plays as a .slin .

Even when i play the sounde in /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/ they all play as .gsm even though there is only .wav files there. Is there a way i can get these to play as .wav?

Many thanks for any help.
Matt

When you say .gsm, am I correct in saying you don’t actually mean there is a .gsm file anywhere, but rather a GSM codec is being selected?

What is the configuration for the channel on which the GSM codec is being selected? If it is SIP, what are the allow settings. What are the equivalent settings on the other end of the connection? (If you don’t know these, and you are using SIP, sip set debug on will help.)

Thanks for the reply David.

There are no .gsm files. All sound files are .wav.

If i setup an extension on my system and dial 1000 where it should play ‘test.wav’ in the Asterisk CLI it would say ‘Playing test.gsm’.

I removed format_gsm.so, format_gsm_wav.so, format_sln.so and format_sln16.so so now when i play the file i am getting ‘Playing test.slin’.

It is sip i am using and have tried various codecs, ulaw,alaw, g729. None of them allow me to play the audio files as .wav. This happens with a local extension or ringing out on a trunk so i am just thinking Asterisk itself is converting the audio before playing.

If it it says Playing test.gsm, I believe it must have found a file with that name.

Definatly not. I was thinking the same thing and searched the whole file system, there is no .gsm file. Also if i unload the format_gsm.so module from asterisk it will say playing test.slin. There are no .slin files on the file system either. If i reload the gsm module it reverts to test.gsm

It has to be asterisk doing some kind of conversion before playing .wav audio files. If i load asterisk 1.4 there is not a problem, it plays as .wav files but i cant get it to play as a .wav in 1.6.

If the extension is bogus, you need to answer the other questions I asked, about which codecs Asterisk is configured to consider acceptable and which the other end considers acceptable.

If things get complicated, you may need to provide the codec conversions costs (CLI command, although I forget the name). These are calibrated for the specific machine.

ahh ok. When i do core show translation i get

[code]core show translation
Translation times between formats (in microseconds) for one second of data
Source Format (Rows) Destination Format (Columns)

g723   gsm  ulaw  alaw g726aal2 adpcm  slin lpc10  g729 speex  ilbc  g726  g722 slin16
 g723     -     -     -     -        -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -      -
  gsm     -     -     -     -        -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -      -
 ulaw     -     -     -     1        2     2     1     2     -     -     -     2     2      3
 alaw     -     -     1     -        2     2     1     2     -     -     -     2     2      3

g726aal2 - - 2 2 - 2 1 2 - - - 1 2 3
adpcm - - 2 2 2 - 1 2 - - - 2 2 3
slin - - 1 1 1 1 - 1 - - - 1 1 2
lpc10 - - 4002 4002 4002 4002 4001 - - - - 4002 4002 4003
g729 - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
speex - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
ilbc - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
g726 - - 2 2 1 2 1 2 - - - - 2 3
g722 - - 2 2 2 2 1 2 - - - 2 - 1
slin16 - - 12003 12003 12003 12003 12002 12003 - - - 12003 12001 -
[/code]

I have tried codecs between asterisk boxs which was set to allow=all and there was the same problem.