Xlite is not connecting to Asterisk server

Hi there,

I have an asterisk setup which is running on centos 7 docker environment on Ubuntu. My client soft phone is on a MacOS running under the same wifi network (We have the same public IP).

Asterisk is running on 192.168.0.103.
The machine where Xlite is installed running on 192.168.0.102.

I can ping the from both machines to each other (also inside the docker container), watching the packets on the Wireshark.

We have an IP phone provider which is pinging on the 192.168.0.103 for keeping the connection open, I can see the packets in Wireshark. It’s doing the common authorization things (Register, 401, Register, 200.) The asterisk server is initiating the request.

Problem:

We have extensions setup such that (1001-1011) as username and password, and the domain name being 192.168.0.103. We put the data on the softphone XLite. I try to register. This happens:

Account 1 could not be enabled.
Problem at server (SIP error 408). Try again later.

I capture the packets on Wireshark and see that the only the Request is sent from 192.168.0.102 (My machine) to 192.168.0.103 (Ubuntu machine on port 5060) on my Mac where the softphone is installed.

I capture the packets on the Ubuntu machine and see that the packets are arriving from 192.168.0.102 to 192.168.0.103 with only SIP REGISTER, the asterisk server is returning nothing.

The comment looks like this:

SIP REGISTER FROM: <sip:1005@192.168.0.103> To:<sip:1005@192.168.0.103> Seq 1

On my SIP logger, I have written

pjsip set logger on

I can see the SIP packets which are registering the provider, but no packets are shown in the logger for the x-lite registration when I am trying. The system was working just fine, but for some days the users can’t login in the x-lite.

Please guide me on the next steps for debugging.

Thanks in advance.

How about to start with;

I have tried all these.

As I have described here, the request is going through the network to the docker container in which the asterisk server is running, but the asterisk server is not responding to the REGISTER request. It should send a 401 error back.

I have debugged the whole system, my client machine to ubuntu machine & docker container, the REGISTER request is coming, but the 401 authentication call which was bound to happen from Asterisk server doesn’t show in the Wireshark.

Somehow the REGISTER packets from my client are not reaching it, but it is actually reaching as I can see in the Wireshark. On the other hand, the provider sent sip packets are showing in the logger. So the provider and the server is registering.

Very strange, because in the first part of your reply you motioned Asterisk “is not responding to the REGISTER request.” so question is: who is replying 401?? because Asterisk response 401 but wireshark doesn´t catch it.
Have you check if a restrictive system.
Have you tried with another softphone?? as 3CX or others?

We have an IP phone provider which is pinging on the 192.168.0.103 for keeping the connection open, I can see the packets in Wireshark. It’s doing the common authorization things (Register, 401, Register, 200.) The asterisk server is initiating the request.

The asterisk server is doing REGISTER,401, REGISTER, for the VOIP provider. But not for the client X-lite REGISTER which is in our office. I can see the request in the Wireshark reaching in the correct port.

No I haven’t tried 3CX.

Try to capture packets on centos 7 docker with tcpdump and open with wireshark.

Actually, the Asterisk client is using REGISTER for hte VoiP, and the poblem you are havein is with the Asterisk server.

You need to provide the protocol debugging provided by Asterisk itself, so that we know if its receiving the register, and if it is sending the 401. If so to where, and if not, why not.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have finally figured the issue.

There was an extra asterisk service running which was blocking the calls to receive anything. Finally figured it out and got the server running for incoming calls. However, now the calls are straight going to the voicemail. Will debug the situation and if I couldn’t solve it, I will be posting a new one.

I have tried that, the packets were transferring.

The problem has been solved.

Great! It will be very useful sharing how did problem have solved.

There was an extra asterisk service running in ubuntu which was blocking the calls to receive anything. Finally figured it out and got the server running for incoming calls. However, now the calls are straight going to the voicemail. Will debug the situation and if I couldn’t solve it, I will be posting a new one.

Thanks for sharing! Good luck.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.