I added the disconectsupervise setting as a previous post suggested but the problem still persisted. However, another search found that perhaps I was kldloading the drivers wrong. The old zaptel for freebsd used a file called zaptel.sh to load the drivers. By eliminating the use of this file and adding the line
to my /etc/rc.conf file, it seems to at least be settled down. It’s still not perfect. Several inbound calls worked fine. A few outbund calls worked but then an inbound call ended up getting hosed…but the line at least was not busy after this. I’m still testing.
I want to make this an official bitch…there was nothing in the zaptel docs that said to enable zaptel via rc.conf. It was only on a remote and obscure search that I found using altavista that I found this out. So for all you techs who are so quick to reply with RTFM…here’s one of the reasons so many novices get frustrated with that reply. I do run FreeBSD, not linux and my posts in the BSD forum as well as the mailing lists were not replied to with anything useful. RTFM is ambiguous at best.