Working with x-lite 3.0. first time please help

hey guys I’m working with x-lite softphone and AsteriskNOW

im just trying to get 2 x-lite phones to talk to one another through my asterisk box right now. I have a few questions concerning sip.conf

[general]
port = 5060 ; Port to bind to (SIP is 5060) ;is this necessary

bindaddr = 10.10.1.20 ;the address of my asterisk server

allow = ulaw ; Allow all codecs

[9250]
type=friend
username=9250
secret=password
host=dynamic
;is this for if my phones are DHCP’ing

context=from-sip
mailbox=9250
nat=no
canreinvite=no

i basicly have the following questions

how does asterisk tie the soft phones to an ip address

ok comp1 Ethernet card address - 10.10.1.250
comp 2 Ethernet card address - 10.10.1.50

asterisk server address 10.10.1.20

my comps use static addresses nothing DHCP’s

so in sip.conf when it asks
host=?
what do i put

basically does x-lite use the address of the machine its running on? or does it get its own address?

if it gets its own address how do you set it? how do you set it to static VS dynamic? and how do you tell asterisk that the address is static VS dynamic?

thanks guys

how does asterisk tie the soft phones to an ip address
* It uses the registration from the phone/softphone to tie the IP address to the device. The phone will register using an name/number and a secret (password).
ok comp1 Ethernet card address - 10.10.1.250
comp 2 Ethernet card address - 10.10.1.50

asterisk server address 10.10.1.20

my comps use static addresses nothing DHCP’s

so in sip.conf when it asks
host=?
what do i put
* You would put “host = dynamic”

basically does x-lite use the address of the machine its running on? or does it get its own address?
* The x-lite phone as the same IP address as the machine it runs on.

if it gets its own address how do you set it? how do you set it to static VS dynamic? and how do you tell asterisk that the address is static VS dynamic?
* For a static system you would put “host = IP address”
* You could still use “host = dynamic” even if the address of the client system was static as the IP address will simply be tied to the SIP registration of the phone.

thank you very much for your quick response

just a few things

you say that the soft-phone is tied to the sip registration in sip.conf

so if i have

[joe]
secret=blah
username=joe
nat=yes
host=dynamic
qualify=1000

so if i put “host=dynamic” the softphone will grab a dynamic (DHCP’ed) address. but from where? how do i control it? is it from my sub-net? what DHCP server is controlling where it gets the address from? im confused on that. Does asterisk assign the dynamic address? if so how and where do you configure the pool of addresses it can assign it?

also what does qualify do?

also do i need to say “user=joe” or will the soft-phone understand that cause i used [joe]

lastly nat’ing.

i only use this if i want the phone to be-able to be dialed from outside my local subnet right?

could you please explain how asterisk handles nat’ing?

i would SOOOO appreciate the answers to my questions

thanks you guys are the best

[quote]so in sip.conf when it asks
host=?
what do i put

[/quote]

Asterisk does not assign IP address, its not a DHCP server for SIP phones.
Your SIP phones already have IP address, because X-lite will use the IP of the computer its running on.

So, if you know that xlite will always be running on those same PC’s and if you know that those PC’s will always have the same IP, the in sip.conf put host= the ipaddress of the pc. But, to avoid IP hassels, just put host=dynamic. Then no matter what IP xlite has it will authentiucate based on username/password.

[quote=“yusuf”][quote]so in sip.conf when it asks
host=?
what do i put

[/quote]

Asterisk does not assign IP address, its not a DHCP server for SIP phones.
Your SIP phones already have IP address, because X-lite will use the IP of the computer its running on.

So, if you know that xlite will always be running on those same PC’s and if you know that those PC’s will always have the same IP, the in sip.conf put host= the ipaddress of the pc. But, to avoid IP hassels, just put host=dynamic. Then no matter what IP xlite has it will authentiucate based on username/password.[/quote]

amazing. very clear response

thank you very much! you cleared up a lot of confusion for me. :smiley: