What is the minimum requirements for an Asterisk home server

Well, it looks like that I can’t use VMware with Asterisk due to the low quality of virtualization.

Anyways, I have enough spare to build something like this:

AMD 1.1 GHz (Athlon?)
512 MB RAM
10 GB 5400 RPM or 20 GB 7200 RPM HDD (I’m not sure what I have left…)

I’m just looking for a very simple home server.

Will this work or will I have very low voice quality, etc, etc…?

I need this to sound at least as good as regular PTSN does so it passes the wife test :smile:

I am using VoIP at home without any POT line. So I am really happy with the hacked Linksys NSLU2. :wink:

It is so small, quite, low power but it does the work.

You may google “NSLU2 asterisk” for detail.

I actually have an NSLU2 running OpenSlug so I can install Asterisk but how well does this work with the tiny (??) NSLU2 CPU?

I was just thinking that the NSLU2 is already routing a LOT of packets on my network (lots of uploading/downloading) so I would think that Asterisk might interfere with the routing speed or visa versa.

[quote=“dynaguy”]I am using VoIP at home without any POT line. So I am really happy with the hacked Linksys NSLU2. :wink:

It is so small, quite, low power but it does the work.

You may google “NSLU2 asterisk” for detail.[/quote]

i got one of those sitting here didnt know u could do that. what codec did u use?

More detail in here:
nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Asterisk

I am using unslung but the openslug should be able to do the same (or better).

According to the wiki:

Also, on my slug I overclocked it to 266MHz.

[quote=“sofakng”]I actually have an NSLU2 running OpenSlug so I can install Asterisk but how well does this work with the tiny (??) NSLU2 CPU?

I was just thinking that the NSLU2 is already routing a LOT of packets on my network (lots of uploading/downloading) so I would think that Asterisk might interfere with the routing speed or visa versa.[/quote]

If you already have lots stuff running on your current slug, you may consider get a second one. :wink: I also use a Linksys WRT54GL with tomato to take care QoS issue so my slug always get high priority when the network jams.

My slug has the following apps:

1. Asterisk 1.4
  2. Apache/PHP (SimplePHPBlog website)
  3. Samba 3

Here is the link at Yahoo Group:
tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-asterisk/

My setup runs on a VIA EPIA 1GHz board with 512MB RAM.
It’s got a TDM800 card in the one PCI slot.
Centos 4.4, Zaptel 1.4, Aterisk 1.4.10 & FreePBX 2.3
It all works great!