What if i dont install ZAPTEL?

before i post my issues i am having installing zaptel, what happens if i dont install it? What wont work.?.. because asterisk installs fine without it… ???

it depends on how you are connecting to ptsn lines. I myself have run without zaptel in 1.4.18 and because we are communicating via PRI, I haven’t had issues until late - thought it was a zaptel issue but now it appears to be from my PRI service provider -

You may want to give more details regarding your platform, setup and issues

Even if you don’t have any immediate hardware installed on your Asterisk server, you still want to install Zaptel and just use what is called ztdummy. ztdummy allows the system to fully function with no actual hardware, besides sip devices.

Are you having issues installing it for some reason?

thanks for the responses …

[quote]it depends on how you are connecting to ptsn lines. I myself have run without zaptel in 1.4.18 and because we are communicating via PRI, I haven’t had issues until late - thought it was a zaptel issue but now it appears to be from my PRI service provider -

You may want to give more details regarding your platform, setup and issues[/quote]

well i don’t have any zaptel equipment in the machine, i am only going to use SIP devices (several Cisco 7940’s and a couple SIP linksys analog adapters) and thats it

my service provider is VOIPGO, i believe they are using asterisk and i just connect to them with SIP…(sorry i am VERY new to this thing)… but i don’t think that is an issue so far

my server is a RAQ4 Cobalt running CentOS 4.4

[quote]Even if you don’t have any immediate hardware installed on your Asterisk server, you still want to install Zaptel and just use what is called ztdummy. ztdummy allows the system to fully function with no actual hardware, besides sip devices.

Are you having issues installing it for some reason?[/quote]

well the reason i ask is because i read somewhere the music on hold is controlled by the zaptel, i cannot find where i read that but that is a feature i would like so that is why i asked my question about zaptel

ok let me explain my issue:

CentOS 4.4

i used this guide: jangestre.wordpress.com/2007/06/07/hello-world/

i installed all the pre Req including the kernel and kernel-devel

i even ran yum update to make sure everything was up-to-date

First issue (i don’t know if it is relevant) yum install bison-devel would not download, it couldn’t find it but i read on some forum somewhere that someone else didn’t need it so i skipped it

Ok step 3 i think is where the problem occurs, i found my kernel version and put that in there

(Now when my issue occurred i also tried the method in this guide: asteriskguru.com/tutorials/a … entos.html
which helped my put exactually my kernel version in… still no luck further on)

libpri installs perfect no issues

then zaptel, it always when checking pre Req or make or install:

“You do not appear to have the sources for the 2.6.16i586 kernel installed.”

i check my kernel version and bam, its exactually the same that is claims is not installed

now i even tried this tutorial:
asteriskguru.com/tutorials/a … entos.html

it claimed there was a make linux26 for kernel 2.6 like mine… well no make linux26 :frowning:

any ways i decided to reinstall centos and reinstall pre Req, update with yum, install asterisk and i think everything is working, i am new to asterisk so i haven’t been able to do much except put my provider in and call the number, see it hit the server when i log in with asterisk -r and it does say no extension exists but i am sure thats me… so i again was just wondering if i need zaptel… but if someone can help me install it i would really appreciate the piece of mind

You have to install the kernel sources for your actual kernel, without the kernel sources zaptel doesn’t build.

Cheers.

Marco Bruni

[quote=“mbruni”][quote]
“You do not appear to have the sources for the 2.6.16i586 kernel installed.”

i check my kernel version and bam, its exactually the same that is claims is not installed
[/quote]
You have to install the kernel sources for your actual kernel, without the kernel sources zaptel doesn’t build.

Cheers.

Marco Bruni[/quote]

how do i do that?

Which linux distribution are you using ?

Cheers.

Marco Bruni

[quote=“mbruni”]Which linux distribution are you using ?

Cheers.

Marco Bruni[/quote]

CentOS 4.4

Should be enough the installation of the kernel-devel rpm.

Cheers.

Marco Bruni

Ahh, I used to run into these problems all the time using Cent OS. I recently switched to Red Hat and when I do my installs for Asterisk, I include all the necessary features in the initial install. Really, the only thing I don’t include in the install is Windows X.

It’s just a much cleaner way of setting up the server, you don’t have to piece things together after the install, it’s all set to go and install Asterisk.

Well i am running strongbolt on my colbalt Raq4 and i have liked the CentOS, if i had to i would probably go with somthign better than CentOS… now same issues i don’t know what else to try

[root@ASTERISK ~]# rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-2.6.9-42.0.10.EL
kernel-devel-2.6.9-67.0.7.EL
kernel-2.6.9-67.0.7.EL
kernel-utils-2.4-13.1.105

it shows i have everything, except the kernel-source and i cant download or find it anywhere

fairchild,

I have had this same issue for many weeks and it bugged the hell out of me. Now, since I know how to fix it, I don’t even give it a second thought.

Don’t worry about which distro you are running (as long as it is Red Hat Based).

Do the following:

1- After installing your OS from CD/DVD. Do “yum -y update”. This will update all installed packages including Kernel. Once all done then you HAVE TO reboot the machine (for the new Kernel to be loaded)

2- Then do “yum -y install kernel-devel” this will install the Kernel sources that match with your up-to-date kernel.

THAT’S ALL YOU NEED TO DO to install the sources.

The problem that you were experiencing is:

1- After doing yum -y update, you didn’t reboot your machine. This means that your new up-to-date kernel, even though it has been downloaded, is not loaded yet. You are still running the old one.

So when you run yum -y install kernel-devel, then you end up with old kernel and newer kernel sources.

If you follow my simple 2 steps you will have no problems with Zaptel installing any more.

To make sure that things are cool, do the following:

#uname -r (you should get something like this, which is the kernel version you are running)
2.6.18-53.1.14.el5

Now to make sure that you have the sources installed, do the following:

#cd /usr/src/kernel
#ls (you should see a directory with the same name as your kernel)
2.6.18-53.1.14.el5

as long as both results match you are ok.

Good luck.

perfect got it installed correctly thanks!!!

No worries, good luck.

Hello,

I have the same problem:

uname -r:

[quote]2.6.18-92.1.10.el5PAE
[/quote]

/usr/src/kernels:

[quote] 2.6.18-92.1.10.el5-i686
[/quote]

I did exactly like the instructions → yum -y update, reboot, then yum -y install kernel-devel.

Where is the problem

Sorry, I forgot, I have Quad Core Intel® Xeon® X3210 processor.