What can I do in terms of Hardware?

Good-day,

I am fed up with my current PBX system and want to replace it. I’ve been following the Asterisk progress over the last few years and it appears now to be a pretty impressive solution.

I need to figure out how much it will cost me to replace my current system with an Asterisk based solution.

I currently have an NEC Elite with 4 Channels Voicemail and 12 Analog in. I also have about 50 NEC telephones (DTU-8D-2BK & some DTU-16D-2BK)…

What can I re-use from the NEC solution and what kind of equipment would be suggested to replace this solution? Any price estimates?

Any advise would be appreciated.

I know this thread is really old, but seeing I found it (google) I might as well add to it.

For NEC proprietry digital handsets and Astersk interoperability you might try citel.com/ and their Citel Handset Gateway.

AFAIK that’s what im looking for. Haven’t tested anything at all yet

Also check out the Intel NetStructure? PBX-IP Media Gateway. 8 x legacy digital handsets (Nortel, Avaya, NEC, Siemens) to SIP or H.323.

http://www.intel.com/design/telecom/products/media_gateway/7135/overview.htm

I think the citel solution is based on the old MCK technology and the intel solution on the old VTG technology. Having some insight in how both of these have evolved, and having used the VTG boards in the past connected to a NEC 2400, I would lean towards the Intel offering if you need to connect proprietary phones to a sip network.

Also check out the Intel NetStructur PBX-IP Media Gateway. 8 x legacy digital handsets (Nortel, Avaya, NEC, Siemens) to SIP or H.323.

http://www.intel.com/design/telecom/products/media_gateway/7135/overview.htm

I think the citel solution is based on the old MCK technology and the intel solution on the old VTG technology. Having some insight in how both of these have evolved, and having used the VTG boards in the past connected to a NEC 2400, I would lean towards the Intel offering if you need to connect proprietary phones to a sip network.

Citel (www.citel.com) has been developing SIP Handset Gateway technology since early 2000, and supports over 100 digital and analog PBX handset types, including Avaya, Nortel, Toshiba, Panasonic, NEC, Ericsson, pPhone, Siemens and others. Unlike solutions from other companies, we focus substantial resources on development of new handset types, as well as the ever-changing landscape of call control feature pass-through.

The Citel platform is certified with a growing number of service providers deploying the Handset Gateway as a network edge device for Hosted IP applications.

Please feel free to call us with any questions regarding your VoIP migration to Asterisk.