VoSKY "Call Center" Skype adapter: any competition

Do any of you know if there are any competitors for the Actiontec VoSKY products?

As noted in other posts here, the VoSKY Call Center ALMOST works as an interface between Asterisk and Skype, but the things that prevent it from working are show-stoppers. Clearly they really want us to buy their $800 box instead of their $70 box even if we don’t need the capabilities of the $800 box and can’t justify the more-than-ten-times the cost.

If there are any competitors I’d like to know about them, otherwise do any of you know where I can find all of the information needed to design a competitive product? Mostly what I need is information on how to access Skype via the USB port … everything else (e.g. telco interfaces and application software) I can figure out on my own with some advice here and there.

Skype is not a good choice to use with *. Because the Skype protocol is closed, one cannot directly interface with the Skype network, which is the ‘right’ way to do it.
With a SIP provider (and there are many, many providers that offer SIP-based service), the protocol is open and Asterisk speaks it. Asterisk can connect directly to the provider over the Internet without any special hardware. This is a far preferable option…

With a SIP provider (and there are many, many providers that offer
SIP-based service), the protocol is open and Asterisk speaks it.
Asterisk can connect directly to the provider over the Internet
without any special hardware. This is a far preferable option…

All very true. The bottom line, though, is that some of our clients use Skype and so it’s to our benefit to be compatible if it can be done without too much hassle although it’s been bordering on “too much hassle” with this VoSKY box. :frowning:

I found another device, called the TeleVoIP Stick from a company called Multi-Link in Kentucky, that looks like it will do the same thing as the VoSKY box for about the same price. I have sent an email to them to see if it will really do what I need. Unlike Actiontec / VoSKY, Multi-Link doesn’t sell an $800 “upgrade” box and so they have every incentive (whereas Actiontec has little or none) to make this box work as advertised.