Utilizing MeetMe with an existing PBX and a fake PRI/T1

Hi folks,
I’m trying to overcome the Nortel BCM 400’s poor conferencing abilities by using Asterisk in conjunction with the PBX. I’ve got Asterisk working properly on a box that’s configured to run various MeetMe conference scripts. What I haven’t figured out is how to hook the Asterisk box up to the PBX.
What I’d like to do is utilize our existing PRI in the most efficient manner possible to dynamically provide the maximum number of MeetMe conference channels as well as regular circuits to normal phone users as possible. I do NOT want to split up the PRI and designate exclusive channels to MeetMe services or normal PBX usage.

Here’s what I’d ideally like things to look like:

The Nortel BCM allows me to put in an additional PRI expansion unit, and the Asterisk has PRI capabilities as well. So my question now is can I make the connection between the Asterisk and the PBX via some sort of PRI interface? I assume the Asterisk would have to simulate the phone company as if it were providing the PRI services, and the PBX would think it had an additional PRI from the outside world. This would allow 24 digital channels to exist between the existing PBX and the Asterisk unit (I think!)

Interestingly, the above configuration would also require only a local connection (no external phone co PRI usage) when our own staff joins a conference. Right now, staff members eat up a PRI line when utilizing an external conference service.

I believe I can handle getting the Nortel BCM to “reroute” calls to the Asterisk via creative dialplan and auto-attendant settings but I’m concerned about both making the physical conection and setting up the Astierks PRI to “look” like a phone company PRI to the PBX. I can’t invest in this equipment unless I know this is going to work, so I’m kind of stuck…

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks much,
Darren

i have our settings posted that we used to integrate a Definity

check out

landair.com/docs/asterisk-definity.htm

All you need to do is create a T1 crossover cable between the PBX, and the Asterisk box.

You wouldn’t even need any CSU’s if you keep the length short (less than 133 feet).

In your PBX dial plan, put a few remote extensions that are dirercted through the new T1, and use those extensions to provide the services.

Giving your Asterisk box more than one extension will allow you to provide more than one service with the box. (Meet me conference, IVR, etc…) It also makes it easier to do configurations and maintenance. (Like recording prompts.)

Hook the whole thing up with a PRI card in the Asterisk, and you’re all set.

Do you have more detailed instructions on creating this crossover cable (or is one available for purchase)? I’d hate to buy $3k of equipment for our existing PBX + the PRI card for Asterisk only to find out I can’t get them hooked up together properly…

If it’s as simple as switching the pins on a 4-pin RJ14 or 8-pins on an RJ45 then I guess I could do this myself, but I need more specifics. I tried searching google for crossover PRI and found this, maybe it will work?

hal-pc.org/~ascend/Max/max60 … .htm#17238 (see T1/PRI crossover cable: RJ48C/RJ48C)

I dunno…

Thanks much for your help.

[quote=“dufus”]All you need to do is create a T1 crossover cable between the PBX, and the Asterisk box.

You wouldn’t even need any CSU’s if you keep the length short (less than 133 feet).

In your PBX dial plan, put a few remote extensions that are dirercted through the new T1, and use those extensions to provide the services.

Giving your Asterisk box more than one extension will allow you to provide more than one service with the box. (Meet me conference, IVR, etc…) It also makes it easier to do configurations and maintenance. (Like recording prompts.)

Hook the whole thing up with a PRI card in the Asterisk, and you’re all set.[/quote]

cyberguys.com/templates/sear … ch=&child=

Would that work?