Using ChanSpy() for call monitoring

I want to be able to monitor (jump in a call without indicating the caller or the callee of my presence) calls on my asterisk server. Voip-Info tells me that I should use ChanSpy but I am not exactly sure how to do it? Basically, I dial a number (e.g. 258) and then enter an extension (e.g. 8467) to start monitoring the call. When done, I can press asterisk() to enter another extension. I will add a simple authentication method once the basic needs are met, so that only authorised people can monitor the calls. Can some one please provide me some guidance in this regard? This is what my current entry looks like (in extensions.conf):

When I dial this extension, I see the call is connected but I am unable to monitor. Help would be appreciated (specially in the form of real life examples).

Thanks.

my extensions.conf includes this

[int-chanspy] exten => 890,1,SetGroup(${CALLERIDNUM}) exten => 890,2,Answer exten => 890,3,Wait(1) exten => 890,4,ChanSpy(SIP/,q) exten => 890,5,Hangup

from the wiki : voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+cmd+ChanSpy

[quote]While Spying:

Dialing # cycles the volume level.
Dialing * will stop spying and look for another channel to spy on.
Dialing a series of digits followed by # builds a channel name to append to
(e.g. run Chanspy(Agent) and dial 1234# while spying to jump to channel Agent/1234)[/quote]

Thank you so much. I got it working after using your logic. Although, I am not exactly sure what SetGroup() does?

i know, it’s of no use without something else like a CheckGroup() … you can always remove it and renumber.

i originally used it to prevent more than one person running ChanSpy. it’s deprecated in 1.2 anyway !

I am having problems with chan spy, sometimes it doesnot work and voice quality is too bad almost all the time. I am using sip Extensions.

Any Sugguestions?

Disable Silence suppression on the device you are listning on

I have diabled silence suppression on sfotclient, but still there is voice quality issue when both the parties are talking at the same time. any suggestio?