"Unable to connect to remote asterisk"

I can no longer connect to my Asterisk:

[quote]root@athomehost:~# asterisk -r
Asterisk 1.8.4, Copyright © 1999 - 2010 Digium, Inc. and others.
Created by Mark Spencer markster@digium.com
Asterisk comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; type ‘core show warranty’ for details.
This is free software, with components licensed under the GNU General Public
License version 2 and other licenses; you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain conditions. Type ‘core show license’ for details.

Unable to connect to remote asterisk (does /opt/var/run/asterisk/asterisk.ctl exist?)
root@athomehost:~# ls -l /opt/var/run/asterisk/asterisk.ctl
srwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Sep 22 14:03 /opt/var/run/asterisk/asterisk.ctl[/quote]

asterisk.ctl doe s exist, however the file is of size 0. I think that I received a call at 14:03 (time shown by the file). What needs to be done to correct this problem? How did it get in to such a sad state?

Try restarting Asterisk

I have tried to restart asterisk several times and rebooted the platform. No joy.

Are there any diagnostics that can be performed to determine the problem?

Update: Power ON Reset seemed to remove this problem. I am concerned that I do not understand what happened or why it happened. The only change made was to sip.conf and restrict the codec:

[callcentric]
; 9/9/11: attempt to restrict codec
;disallow=all
;disallow=ulaw
;disallow=alaw
;allow=g729

It’s hard to believe that this would cause this error.

This error generally means that the Asterisk daemon has not started. You need to look at the logs to see what prevented its starting.

It could also indicate a crash in the absence of something like safe_asterisk to automatically restart it, in which case you need to make sure that crash dumps are enabled and debug it as a crash.

Please open a command prompt and type without quotations:
“cp /dev/null /var/log/asterisk/full”
“asterisk”

if it fails to load the pbx then run this:
“tail -n 20000 /var/log/asterisk/full > last20k”

then open the last20k file with vi or some other editor and locate any ERRORS and paste into the question.