Trying to configure AsteriskWin32

Could I please get some help in configuring AsteriskWin32.

I’m trying to setup a demo for the moment. I have AsteriskWin32 installed on a laptop running XP Pro sp2 and I can’t figure out how to get it configured.

I have setup an account with BandTel. I have tried to follow the install demo called “View a demo of PBX Manager & Console application.” The software doesn’t match the demo.

When I go into the PBX manager and configure the Dial Plan it gives me the pre-setup users. How can I change the extensions/mailbox? How can I add new extensions?

If I click on VoIP Devices it says I need to upgrade to PBX manager Lite so I did. How do I configure new devices?
What ever I put in doesn’t stay.

I don’t know how to configure the rest.

Thank you,

Docfxit

AsteriskWIn32 is old and out dated. I would stay far away from it. If you want to learn how to work asterisk read the book.
h6315.com/ast_docs/Asterisk%20TFOT%20v2.pdf
Also a great resource site is voip-info.org

[quote=“Dovid”]AsteriskWIn32 is old and out dated. I would stay far away from it. If you want to learn how to work asterisk read the book.
h6315.com/ast_docs/Asterisk%20TFOT%20v2.pdf
Also a great resource site is voip-info.org[/quote]

Thank you for the reply.

The reason I started with AsteriskWin32 is because it runs in windows XP.

I’m not familiar with Linux and I’m concerned that it will be too much of a learning curve to learn Asterisk and Linux at the same time.

Because this install will be very simple I was hoping to get it running very quickly.

Thank you,

Docfxit

You can try to play with it on XP but for the “real deal” it will not get you far. It took me a while to get my feet wet with Linux but we all had to learn at some time. The guys on the Linux message boards and in the IRC rooms are very helpful.

Since eventually I will want a reliable server I guess I will have to take the plunge and try Linux.

I’m thinking of trying TrixBox. I like the idea of having a GUI like FreePBX to make it easier to configure Asterisk. I don’t know if that comes with a GUI for CentOS. If it doesn’t I hope I can add one.

Where can I get some help to get Asterisk configured for a very simple install?

Thank you,

Docfxit

Read the link above to the book, have a look on voip-info.org and hang around a bit on IRC. I think if you google my name with this forum you will see my opinions on using TrixBox.

Thank you for the reply.

I fully understand your opinions using TrixBox. If I am going to be successful in getting Asterisk installed I need to get it done ASAP. Today if possible. If I don’t get it up and running very soon the company will install their old PBX. I have been working on this for a week now. If I can get this working successfully soon then I will have the time to learn the configuration files to keep it running.

Today I need to find:

1. The best sound quality phones.
  2. The best place to buy them.
  3. The best Analog to digital converter for 9 phone lines.
  4. The best place to buy the PSTN.
  5. Someone that is very familiar with Asterisk and can configure the software so I can have it up and running very very soon.

Thank you,

Docfxit

The problem is that setting up Trixbox when you don’t know what can go wron and what issue’s may arise will end up being worse for you in the long run since you will look like an A** if there are issues and you are unsure on how to resolve it. If you do decide to go with Trixbox anyways, what is your budget ? How many phones do you need ? What kind of lines do they have now ?

For phones I would go with SNOM, Polycom or Sipura.

Thank you for the reply.

[quote=“Dovid”]The problem is that setting up Trixbox when you don’t know what can go wron and what issue’s may arise will end up being worse for you in the long run since you will look like an A** if there are issues and you are unsure on how to resolve it.
[/quote]

The way I see it today is If I go through the learning curve now to figure out how to resolve issues the company won’t wait and this will never get installed. If I find someone to help me get it installed quickly I will have a chance to learn how to resolve issues later.

7 with good functions
the rest with minimal functions

[quote=“Dovid”] What kind of lines do they have now ?
[/quote]
Nine analog lines.

Do you know of any particular model numbers that are better or worse than the rest?

Do you know where to get them for a good price?

This will be for in house only. No Internet calling required.

They need:

1. A call attendant to direct the incoming call to the correct extension.
  2. Night message.
  3. Call forwarding to their cell phone.
  4. Nine voice mail boxes.

Thank you,

Docfxit

I have no problem with you trying to learn but the issue with some one else installing it is when there is an issue you will be stuck. I have a client that told me to install and he would have his tech learn asterisk. Till this day I manage his system because the have no idea how to work asterisk. I have no problem supporting him (as it is more revenue for me) but for your sake learn asterisk.

For the 7 “good phones” I would go with the SNOM 370/360 or the Polycom 501/601. For the other phones you can go with the Polycom 301 or the Sipura SPA-941.

For 9 Analog lines I would look at getting a Digium or Sangoma card. I prefer Sangoma (they work better for me) but they are a bit harder to set up.

You can try getting these from telephonydepot.com. They seem to be cheaper than the rest and I have so far been happy with them. A bigger better known company is voipsupply.com. They are a bit more but when I did have to RMA with them they were real good about it (never RMA’d with telephony depot).

For the features that they need asterisk can do it and it is not hard to set up. If you still want to hire some one else to set it up PM me.