The script nust be executed before running "make"

Hi,
I am trying to install asterisk 1.4.1 on Suse 10, but I get this message after to put the command “make”. Do you know how to fix this problem

Regards

do you mean “configure” ? if so, then it’s easy to fix … you run ‘./configure’ before running ‘make’ … just like the message says :unamused:

Thanks , but I did it too.
I got the same message

[root@laisla asterisk-1.4.1]# make

**** The configure script must be executed before running ‘make’.

make: *** [makeopts] Error 1

What else can be the problem?

OK lets start this from the beginning just to make sure you are indeed doing it properly.

Firstly you do:

1. ./configure

Optional:

1. make clean

2. make

3. make install

This should work with no problem at all, if it does not work after following this guide then the problem is most likely related to something else and you may need to give us the entire error in order for us to help with the problem.

I have had to remove and install Asterisk so many times now i swear i could just install the damn thing using my mind only :confused:

Cheers,

David.

Hi David,

thank you for your procedure, but In did everything exactly that you wrote.
Today I ttied to install asterisk in a PC with Linux Fedora 6.0 and I got exactly the same problem like in Suse10.0

I am following the document “asteriskTFOT.pdf”

I post below all the lines after run make clean

extasislinux:/usr/src/asterisk-1.4.0 # make clean
rm -f .o astman smsq stereorize streamplayer aelparse muted check_expr
rm -f .
.o.d .*.oo.d
rm -f md5.c strcompat.c ast_expr2.c ast_expr2f.c pbx_ael.c
rm -f aelparse.c aelbison.c
rm -f .so .o look eagi-test eagi-sphinx-test
rm -f .
.o.d .
.oo.d
rm -f strcompat.c
rm -f .so .o .oo
rm -f .
.o.d .
.oo.d
rm -f modules.link
rm -f snmp/
.o
rm -f *.so .o .oo
rm -f .
.o.d .
.oo.d
rm -f modules.link
rm -f busy.h ringtone.h gentone
make -C misdn clean
rm -rf *.a .o .so portinfo
rm -f .so .o .oo
rm -f .
.o.d .
.oo.d
rm -f modules.link
rm -f ael/
.o
rm -f .so .o .oo
rm -f .
.o.d .
.oo.d
rm -f modules.link
rm -f .so .o .oo
rm -f .
.o.d .
.oo.d
rm -f modules.link
make -C gsm clean
rm -f /.o
./tst/lin2cod ./tst/lin2txt
./tst/cod2lin ./tst/cod2txt
./tst/gsm2cod
./tst/

find . ( -name core -o -name foo )
-print | xargs rm -f
rm -f ./lib/libgsm.a ./add-test/add
./bin/toast ./bin/tcat ./bin/untoast
./gsm-1.0.tar.Z
rm -rf lib
rm -f .
.d
make -C lpc10 clean
rm -f .o ./liblpc10.a ..d
make -C ilbc clean
rm -f libilbc.a .o ..d
rm -f *.so .o .oo
rm -f .
.o.d .
.oo.d
rm -f modules.link
rm -f *.so .o .oo
rm -f .
.o.d .
.oo.d
rm -f modules.link
rm -f *.so .o .oo
rm -f .
.o.d .
.oo.d
rm -f modules.link
rm -f .so .o .oo
rm -f .
.o.d .
.oo.d
rm -f modules.link
rm -f asterisk
rm -f db1-ast/.
.d
rm -f libdb1.a libdb.so.2 hash/hash.o hash/hash_bigkey.o hash/hash_buf.o hash/hash_func.o hash/hash_log2.o hash/hash_page.o hash/ndbm.o btree/bt_close.o btree/bt_conv.o btree/bt_debug.o btree/bt_delete.o btree/bt_get.o btree/bt_open.o btree/bt_overflow.o btree/bt_page.o btree/bt_put.o btree/bt_search.o btree/bt_seq.o btree/bt_split.o btree/bt_utils.o db/db.o mpool/mpool.o recno/rec_close.o recno/rec_delete.o recno/rec_get.o recno/rec_open.o recno/rec_put.o recno/rec_search.o recno/rec_seq.o recno/rec_utils.o hash/hash.os hash/hash_bigkey.os hash/hash_buf.os hash/hash_func.os hash/hash_log2.os hash/hash_page.os hash/ndbm.os btree/bt_close.os btree/bt_conv.os btree/bt_debug.os btree/bt_delete.os btree/bt_get.os btree/bt_open.os btree/bt_overflow.os btree/bt_page.os btree/bt_put.os btree/bt_search.os btree/bt_seq.os btree/bt_split.os btree/bt_utils.os db/db.os mpool/mpool.os recno/rec_close.os recno/rec_delete.os recno/rec_get.os recno/rec_open.os recno/rec_put.os recno/rec_search.os recno/rec_seq.os recno/rec_utils.os
rm -f .depend
rm -f libtime.a *.o test
rm -f defaults.h
rm -f include/asterisk/build.h
rm -f include/asterisk/version.h
make[1]: Entering directory /usr/src/asterisk-1.4.0/menuselect' rm -f menuselect *.o make[1]: Leaving directory/usr/src/asterisk-1.4.0/menuselect’
cp -f .cleancount .lastclean
extasislinux:/usr/src/asterisk-1.4.0 # make

**** The configure script must be executed before running ‘make’.

make: *** [makeopts] Error 1
extasislinux:/usr/src/asterisk-1.4.0 #

Tell me what to do

he did ! with the exception of one step that is also optional.

cd /usr/src/asterisk ./configure make menuselect make make install
this information is also contained in the (sjhouldn’t-be-optional) text files in the source.

Only because when i first started out, i knew how hard it was to get help sometimes, but remember this, you cant always be spoon fed with trouble shooting problems, sometimes you have to do much research on the internet like many others as well as myself have had to do.

But in Saying that, i will draw up a small tutorial for you here, it is not perfect but i have replicated this so many times on so many different machines, if it still does not work for you after this, then your problem is out of my capabilities of assistance.

Preparation:

[Assuming you are running Fedora Core]

1. Go to the main Asterisk Site http://www.asterisk.org/

2. Then click on Downloads at the top left hand side.

3. On the far Right of the screen you will see “Asterisk Downloads”, there choose the flavour you want, which i am going to assume is 1.4.1, but do not download it just yet.

4. Go to the Linux system which you will be installing this on.

[Optional] I normally create a directory in the “home” directory called “Asterisk Files”, Yes you can just do everything in the /usr/src directory but i just always remember the home directory.

1. Got to the desired directory on the linux machine that you intend to download the Asterisk Tar files too.

2. Now go to the Asterisk Page, right click on the version of asterisk you want, and then click on “Copy Link” or “Copy Link Location” depending on your browser and how it is configured.

3. Go to the Directory you are doing to download Asterisk into (On the Command Line that is) and type wget then paste the link.

4. If you require Zaptel and Libpri on the system, do not install Asterisk just yet, download both of them to the same directory.

5. Now un tar all the files you which to install/compile onto the system, using the following command “tar zxvf ”

6. Once you have uncrompressed all the folders (Those you wish to install), we will then proceed to move into the directories:

10b. If your installing Zaptel then move into that directory and run the following commands: “make clean” and then “make” and then “Make install”, this should install Zaptel for you. However if it requires you to run the ./configure command, then do so before running the other three commands.

10c. If you need Libpri, then do the same thing as what you did with Zaptel as well.

1. Now move to your Asterisk Directory, and run the following commands: “./configure” and then “make clean” and then “make” and then finally “make install”.

This should install asterisk no with no problems, if you encounter problems then your Distro might have problems, which i suggest then updating it, by running “yum -y update” if it is Fedora or “apt-get ” if it is a Debian based system.

This is the best i can offer you for now, if you still have problems after that, i am not sure how i can help you, but others might be able too. Like i have said, i have in-stalled and re-installed asterisk so many times now i just go into Auto pilot now when doing the installation, but usually all the systems are installed with the same version of Linux “Fedora Core 6” and fully updated before i do the installs.

Good luck and i hope you get it.

Cheers,

David.

when you’re dealing with 1.4 installs, i think it prudent to include the “make menuselect” step. this was obviously introduced to a) allow installers to select the modules/functions/applications they are actually going to use, and b) highlights dependency issues that will stop a module being compiled and the head-scratching that might ensue.

another useful hint is to read the config.log after running “make menuselect” and finding that “app_myapp.so” has “XXX” next to it.

Yeah… What Bacon said, i totally forgot about that, and only just realized that you can use it the other anyway.

Cheers,

David.