Testing the waters with * and a Virtual machine

I am aware that running * on a virtual machine is bad mojo, but i was wondering if there was a good way to setup * on a VM and simulate a production environment. My hope is yes but my suspicion is no.

The purpose is to allow me as an * semi-noob to gain more experience with the setup configuration and administration of an * pbx system withough having to have the expensive hardware to test it with.

I dont even care if the call quality is not up to production snuff, as long as i can tell what people are saying, or that they are saying anything at all i would be happy to play around with it just for running tests.

What would be awesome is a way to simulate the various digium cards (maybe via software) and run some “pretend calls” on them… like a pre-recorded test incoming call.

I know this is asking alot but it seems like it would be a wicked powerful tool to help the non-god learn alot more in a safe, risk free environment.

:smile:

thanks

bump!

[quote=“Dikadika”]I am aware that running * on a virtual machine is bad mojo, but i was wondering if there was a good way to setup * on a VM and simulate a production environment. My hope is yes but my suspicion is no.
[/quote]

I have one * running on MS virtual server. I supose I can add more of them. For now it works fine.

Tomislav

Well here is the thing, if i am going to be setting up some zaptel dependant hardware i am interested in using a VM to simulate that hardware configuration and then go through an install and configuration.

In addition it would be great if i could simulate calls to that hardware on the VM.

I have an Asterisk machine setup through MS Virtual Machine, and i’m sure i can do many of the configuration tasks on that virtual machine, but is there a good reliable way to test the configuration without spending the several hundred dollars to buy the hardware.

I know there is PBX load testing equipment that you can get to test it, but ultimately i’m looking for something free or extremely cheap so that i can begin experimenting with different configurations and setups to help me better learn the * system.

Is there an asterisk test module that i can install that will simulate voip and pstn calls? Do i have to sign up with a voip provider before i can test things out from call start to call complete?

I appreciate any information that people can give me.

Thanks

[quote=“Dikadika”]Well here is the thing, if i am going to be setting up some zaptel dependant hardware i am interested in using a VM to simulate that hardware configuration and then go through an install and configuration.

In addition it would be great if i could simulate calls to that hardware on the VM.
[/quote]

I defenetly agree with you. All you have mention would be wery interesting and usefull. I hope that something like that is posible.

Like you said, every information will be usefull.

Tomislav